Recycled wood - stripping paint

Page 2 of 2

My parents had a bedroom set back in the 50's that was fininshed in what was called "Limed Oak". It looked like the pores were filled with white pigment and then a light white wash coat was applied, then a clear top coat of some clear sealant - probably laquer. It was ugly even back then. Art

That's it!! Tried to fix a nice little chest of drawers that had been thusly mangled. No hope whatsoever. :(
On 6/24/2010 7:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:

FREEZE Lady! Now slowly put down the paintbrush and back away from the furniture!
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:58:17 -0500, Steve Turner

One can only pray that there was a coat of finish on that thing before the paint went on. Otherwise, it's in the pores and will never come out. Ex? I'd have been a widower.
-- Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst. -- Lin Yutang

Sure, my father used a lot of green painted mahogany. He got it WW-II surplus. Seems the Army loved to make shipping crates out of the stuff.

No wonder she's an "ex".

a chest of drawers for my brother and I to have in our bedroom. After we both left home, he took the chest and later his wife bought an "antiquing kit" and painted it green with a glaze over it. I guess it was nice in 1970, but sure looked like crap some years later. Somehow, I ended up with it and hid it in a spare room. Fast forward 55 years A few years ago my wife convinced my to strip it and refinish it. and now I have a lovely maple chest in my office. Original brass hardware and the maker's name (Thos. Beals Portland Maine) is inside of one of the drawers. I love it!

Last stripping job I did -- a set of kitchen cabinet doors -- I used a card scraper to take off the old paint in record time. Scraper edges were just filed, not burnished.
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:46:07 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

One Atta Boy coming atcha, Hasky.
When I did my kitchen cabinet doors (1939 farmhouse in CA) back in the 80s, I used the same HF hot air gun I have now and a 2" putty knife. Yeah, I did it in the shop with the door open, and I'm sure there was plenty of lead in that old paint. (Please don't tell the EPA that I'm still alive.) They took just minor sanding after that. Once you get the proper heat, the layers all stick together and come up at once at about 3' per minute. I'll never waste that much time again on a door project. It's quicker and not very much more expensive to build new ones. I faced them with luaun ply and Varathane, then deglossed and waxed with Johnson's Wax and 0000 steel wool.
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

My *cheap* Eberle scraper took down the old latex twice as fast as my $20 Chinese heat gun. Sure, I had to file it every 15 minutes, but that was a 30 second job.
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:25:32 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

But will it do mouldings and other curves? ;)
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Gooseneck or custom profile. Carved details are still going to need methylene chloride, but you'll be needing *much* less.