Reconditioned Tools

Page 1 of 2
I've been hesitant to buy reconditioned tools, the ones that have been reconditioned by the factory. However, I'm considering a Delta reconditioned scroll saw, the 40-570R from Amazon.
Anyone have good experiences with reconditioned tools?
The saw comes with a 6 mos warranty, but I can't find out how long the warranty is for 'new' tools.
Just wondering how hard you tried to find the length of the "new" tools warranty. Says right on the Amazon website for the 570 (not R) that the warranty is 2 years. Also, if you go to the Delta website, there is contact information for the company, as well as stating that the warranty on the replacement for the 570 is 2 years. www.deltawoodworking.com.
I can't comment on buying reconditioned over new, however.
Clint

Hmmm.. I looked at two different scroll saws on Amazon from Delta and didn't see the warranty. Should have looked at the Delta site since I had it open. DOH!
Thanks for the info
Clint Neufeld wrote:

The ones I looked at, it didn't seem to be on the newer models. But their website had the warranty information anyways.
Have fun with the new toy, no matter which one you buy!
Clint

Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Yes, and it's been positive experience.

A new Delta 40-570 carries a two year warranty (an "R" at the end of the model number indicates a refurbished unit).
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:11:03 -0400, Thomas Mitchell wrote:

My DeWalt SCMS is a refurb. Saved me $100 and even came with a better blade than what I see at the big box stores. It's been a good tool for me so far. I've had it about a year and built my son's fort/swing set with it.
I almost bought a refurb DeWalt planer, but it doesn't come with the dust hood and extra knives like the new one. After adding that stuff to the refurb, it's the same price as a new one. So sometimes buying new is better.
--
Joe Wells

I bought a reconditioned Delta lathe. It is warranted for 6 months but looks like a new one to me. The new one is warranted for 2 years.
Thomas Mitchell wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I bought a Craftsman circular saw almost 30 years ago. It is still working. More recently, I bought a M-K tile saw and it is still going strong. My brother borrows it everytime he can find some side work. It came with two used diamond blades which have more cutting surface than a new one.
Unless there is a design problem with the tool that is left uncorrected, consider the tool to have survived a 'burn in' test. Most things electric/electronic either die quick or last fairly long.
Wes