Recommended wood choices for bathroom cabinet

I am looking to build a corner cabinet (~ 20" x 9" x 70") for our bathroom to store toiletries and all the other things that my SWMBO deems necessary for storing in a bathroom (as a guy I just need a toothbrush, hairbrush, and tube of toothpaste).

My plan is to build it out of wood and paint it.

Given the high humidity of bathrooms, what are some good suggestions for high quality paint grade wood?

- I am assuming MDF is not a good idea.

- Is baltic birch plywood for sides and shelves and poplar for stiles/rails a good choice? Or, are there better options for bathrooms?

Reply to
blueman

I think those are excellent choices. There are others who may be more conservative but unless this will be in the shower, it will be fine. Actually great choices. Both really easy materials to work with and paint well.

Use a heavy primer and sand it out to hide all grain before painting and you will be super happy.

FYI, a few years back a buddy of m> I am looking to build a corner cabinet (~ 20" x 9" x 70") for our

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That'll work. Perhaps a better way would be Finnish birch plywood and cypress.

Finnish birch is made with exterior glue. Baltic birch is made with interior glue. Cypress is (around here) about the same price as poplar but is much more water resistant.

Whichever you use, seal everything with dewaxed shellac before you paint. Zinsser's SealCoat is one brand. And I'd paint with an oil based enamel, not latex paint. Latex paint is designed to let moisture through.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Poplar is a good choice, then finish with a bath/kitchen primer/paint. Select a primer specifically made for bare wood. White oak is rot resistant but but doesn't hold paint as well. Painted shelves require some patience for the paint to cure, 4-6 weeks or longer, then apply a paste wax.

Reply to
Phisherman