Recommended Repair

A friend asked me to look at a broken table leg to see if it could be salvaged. This is a turned leg, with the top 6 inches or so left square (appx 2" on a side). Apparently, the square portion of the leg, where it bolts to the table, suffered some sort of a failure, and the top 4" was cut off. So I'm thinking of the best way to attach a new 2" square by 4" long piece to what's left of the top of the leg. A good glue will be required, but I'm also thinking about a large dowel rod running through the new piece, and well into the leg. Your thoughts? O.
O wrote:>A friend asked me to look at a broken table leg to see if it could be

Work at your leisure!
snipped-for-privacy@fish.net says...

The dowel will probably do the job structurally but unless the table is painted, short of turning a new one, I think making the repair look decent will be the real ball buster of the job.
If it were my repair job to do I'd just make a new leg.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods