Recommended finishes for (outdoor) oak threshhold?

Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an outside oak threshhold.
I am looking for a light or clear finish that will last, require minimum maintenance, and hold up well against outside weather.
Is an outdoor poly a good choice? Oil vs. water?
Thanks

Minwax Helmsman (or equal spar varnish) would be my choice.
Blueman wrote:
Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an outside oak threshhold.
I am looking for a light or clear finish that will last, require minimum maintenance, and hold up well against outside weather.
You had to ask.
About 3-4 coats of epoxy followed by a couiple of coats of poly or varnish that contain UV inhibitors.
When the poly wears down, sand lightly and recoat to protect the epoxy.
Lew

*chuckle* ...
Spoken like true boat restorer.
Robert

If it works for teak, it will work for oak.<G>
Lew

Red Oak is very porous and would be a poor choice for an out door threshold. Boat builders are keenly aware of this. White Oak is better.

What is the epoxy for? And why 3-4 coats? If the purpose is to "plasticize" the wood, then would not a porous species such as red oak be the better choice? Would not thinned long oil spar varnish provide better penetration, flexibility and heat resistance on a dense species such as white oak? I know there are alot of epoxy formulations, it might be helpful to be more specific (system3, w.e.s.t, etc)
snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com wrote:

A threshold is going to get walked on, regularly. Spar varnish isn't going to hold up very long in that service.
--John

Well, I must have missed a post. I looked at OP's post and saw nothing mentioning red oak. He did not.
Besides, using Lew's system you could probably use ANY kind of wood you wanted, including hard pine. Besides, how do you know the threshold isn't permanently installed at this time, making the change of wood out of the question?
Robert

Yes. Threshold is existing - installed by previous owner. Independent of exact wood type, I am looking for a strong hardy finish :)
"blueman" wrote:

Independent
That's what I gave you.
Lew

Thanks Lew. One further question. What type of epoxy? I have some System 3, RotFix "low viscosity epoxy sealer" which is made for stabilizing rotten wood. Would that be a good choice or do I need another special epoxy.
Thanks
"blueman" wrote:

Standard laminating resin.

Sounds like a version of "Git Rot", a very low viscosity resin.
Probably so runny it would be a total PITA for this application.

I would just use some standard laminatingn resin applied with a chip brush.
MIx up about 4 ounces at a time unless this is a VERY big threshold.
Harbor Freight sells 2" chip brushes in boxes of 12 for less than $3.00/box on sale.
Use and pitch, they are not worth trying to clean.
Have fun.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Where can I get "standard laminating resin"? The Borg??
Max
"Max" wrote:

Not a borg item.
Anyplace that sells WEST, System 3, Raka, just to name a few suppliers.
Any place close to a West Marine?
If not, it's Google time.
Lew

Roger that. No West Marine around here. (El Paso) (no water) <G>
Max