Recommendations wanted: Forstner bits

Can anyone recommend a brand/source for a set of Forstner bits that represents a good value. TIA Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

Hi I bought these, made by Oldham Co. in China. Oldham has been around a long while as a U. S. Company since 1857, currently within the Pentair conglomerate:

Bits:
peice set of HSS* bits, here the set was the least expensive of anywhere:

the page I ordered from:
shipping cost was exact ($8.xx) and not even nearly a rip-off.

My reasoning is, as less costly and made in China, the production is quality contolled and they are fully guaranteed. Therefore "sure" for the plastic case they come in... especially at that price!

... hope this helps,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Depends on what is a good value for you. I bought a cheap set (about $10) from Woodcraft. They come in a wood box and sizes range from 1/4" to 1". I've had them maybe 18 months and the 3/8" and 3/4" are now in need of replacement. I'll buy a higher quality bit for those two sizses as they are the ones I used the most. The others have had very little use so the cheap ones will last me for a long time. I'd say for my needs, it is a good value. I don't mind having a $2 bit sitting around "just in case" but I'll not buy the lesser used sizes for $20 each. I will for the oft used

3/8" though. And I still have the wood storeage box Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought a set from Harbor Freight. I think they were on sale at around $22.00 and range in size from 1/4 up to 2 1/4 I think. They have performed well for me so far...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Lenny asks:

Freud. Beautifully clean cuts, reasonable (not low) price.

Charlie Self

I bought a bargain set of forstner and brad point bits about a year ago (from the now defunct WW Warehouse). They seemed to be a great buy at something like $25 per set. They are awful. The main problem is that they seem to be inaccurate (hole sizes are off) because the shanks are not perfectly straight and wobble very slightly.

Anyway, be frugal and buy a more expensive set the first time.

(I'm still trying to follow this rule for years now, but it's hard to pass up a bargain in the tool store!)

Lou

Reply to
loutent

lou notes:

Start simply. Repeat to yourself, until you're a week past sick of hearing of it, that a purchase is NOT a bargain just because it is cheap.

'S why I mentioned the Freud Forstner bits. They are not cheap, but they are a bargain.

Charlie Self

About 15 years ago I bought a set of about 20 from Trendlines. No-Name brand. I paid about $40. I figured that I would get what I paid for. Oddly these were manufactured in Germany and I have probably drilled 600-700 holes with the 1-3/8" bit alone. It still cuts quite well.

My advise is to buy from someone like Woodcraft if you buy an off brand bit. Woodcraft will stand behind their products for 1 year.

Reply to
Leon

I bought my set from Lee Valley. I can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but they seem to work fine.

Roy Smith

CMT gets my vote, Stubai a very close second.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Stubai makes forstner bits? I cannot find a website by them but I did buy a set of Garrett Wade chisels made by Stubai, on eBay.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

AArDvarK

I bought a bargain set on Ebay a couple years ago and could *see* the runout when the bits were mounted in the drill press and spinning. Oh well. I just use them for noncritical applications and buy/use better quality single bits for stuff like mortising.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

is their site though I could not navigate due to the language. They definitely make forstners, I have some in the shop now and they are great.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Thanks for the link, not able to find that exact site by searching. But this site is how to read it in english, use german-to-english with the url entered into:

However you will notice, when you click on the link you gave, in your browser's address field, it becomes the following:
once the page is landed, the other won't work in the AV tranlator.

Thanks again, Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

I second that. Also reasonably easy to hand sharpen with small diamond paddles.

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

I also have a set of Lee Valley forstner bits, and like them very much...

Reply to
Scott Wilson

Thanks again to all who responded. I think I will check with my local lumberyard as they carry both Freud and CMT. I have had great luck with a Freud set of brad points bought there years ago. FWIW While checking out Lee Valley site I came across some bits patterned after the old Stanley powerbore bits. I'm missing a couple of sizes in my set and am elated I have a source to replace them

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

On 22 Aug 2004 07:26:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Scott Wilson) calmly ranted:

for a set of Forstner bits that

I'd like my set better if they didn't clog so much. I really need to get the Dremel out to port 'n polish them so that doesn't happen.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RE: Subject.

Somebody asked: