Recommendations for outdoor wood preservative to apply...

We have an old wooden house and whenever, I remove/repair clapboards or trim, I would like to be able to apply via either spray or brush some type of long-lasting wood preservative. I would apply this both to any old wood exposed and any new wood added.
I know in new construction, people spray on various borate solutions.
Any specific products to recommend that are readily available (without requiring certification or license)?

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/timbor-p-144.html
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer