Recommendations for newsgroups access or woodworking sites

I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10 years. These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker to see other peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions regarding techniques, etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's access to newsgroups in a week or so, so I am looking for help regarding my options: 1. Are there any recommendations for woodworking web sites that provide similar postings of technical questions and posting of project pictures? I looked on line but haven't found anything equivalent. 2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap access to newsgroups?
Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.
Thanks, I hate to give up on breadth of information available on these sites. Bob

Bob,
See the thread "newsgroup vs comcast" in this group (abpw) for more info. It started on Oct 7.
--
I kill all messages, and replies to messages, from Google Groups. See
http://improve-usenet.org for details.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:27:47 -0700, Bob Abbott wrote:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org (note the dot 'org')
the forum hosted by publisher of WoodSmith magazine: http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
the publisher of Fine Woodworking (Taunton Press) has a forum I followed a few years ago, a few like that forum. Not my cup of coffee. You have to wander around the Fine Woodworking pages, and look for community and then click on Knots. Registration seems mandatory.
There are others, don't forget to search within MSN groups.
Thanks to Dave, Phil and Tom. These plus the info from the other threads should get me set again. Bob
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:27:47 -0700, "Bob Abbott"
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com /
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

A relatively new site (couple of years) is LumberJocks. Members (free) can post blogs, discussions, post pics, authur tool tests, etc.
try teranews.com for about $4 you can get free account(4 sign up fee that's all ever) that gives you 50mgs a month download if your only into binaries that's all you will ever need.
len
Leonard Shapiro wrote:

Teranews allows the user to download 50megs a day.

I'll let this post be my swan song. My Comcast Service stops tomorrow. Free TerraNews is fine for reading all groups. The problem is posting. Sometimes the posting will show up quickly but other times it will magically appear on the group days later, long after responses to the thread are relavant. Having used TerraNews before getting Comcast a few months ago, I am "Alurker" since in order to post effectively with TerraNews I switch to Google Groups to post even though reading unfiltered threads on Google is too painful. So tomorrow I'm relagated to lurking again.
Jerry

Once again, Motzarella is pretty good for non-binary groups and free. Astraweb has this nifty $10 contribution account that will let you download 25 GB, it doesn't expire, so I am still using it now. I paid in June and still have a bout 24GB left to spend. Other subscriptinos available too. Check it out. <http://news.astraweb.com/
Satisfied user ...
--
Best regards
Han
A Lurker wrote:

I've been using Motzarella for my text groups but today is the 25th and comcast still has not notified me they are dropping newsgroups? I'm posting this via comcast so if you are reading it, then comcast is still as of 10:00 a.m 0n 10/25/2007 still carrying newsgroups, and binary ones as well.
Perhaps today is the last day? Still, I wonder why they haven't notified me yet?
I might add that Motzarella has worked flawlessly for me so far for text stuff and there has been no discernible difference from Giganews and Motzarella.
--
Jack
I also lost usenet access from Time Warner Roadrunner several months ago.
Jack Stein wrote:

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/ and have had no problems. The prices seem fair.
Chris