Recommendations for good box-making books?

As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes. The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics : Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I've got both of Doug Stowe's books on box making - the other being Making Elegant Boxes. I can recomend both of his books.

Douge Stowe used to post here regularly but it's been a while since his last post. He's also done another book on furniture making - IIRC mainly on tables.

In addition to a table saw and a miter saw, a router table is handy to have. You'll find that using flat, square stock, either buying it that way or making it that way, is a must if you want joints to fit together and stay together.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in news:vM2dnTmelK9aIObZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Stowe's books are good. There are a couple of books on bandsaw boxes (check Rockler and Woodcraft catalogs). Tony Lydgate has a series of books out. Some of the boxes shown are just gallery examples, others have construction details. It is also good to do google, yahoo, and other searches to get tips and examples, esp. using the names in the books.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

You could also have a look at the reviews on amazon.com

JES

Reply to
JES

Anything by Doug Stowe.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I'll add another vote for Doug Stowe's books. His writing style and use of native woods grants a sense of confidence that you can duplicate his success. He's also a very nice guy. I wonder what he's up to, now?

Kevin "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:vM2dnTmelK9aIObZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Amazon has a "recommendation" feature that you may like. First find your two books on Amazon and add them to your cart (you won't be buying them, don't worry.) Then, at the top of the page is a tab, second from the left. If you've logged in, it will say "mywebaccts' page". Amazon finds books that other buyers of your books have also bought. You can refine the suggestions by selecting "add to wish list," "not interested," or "i own it." Play with the selections and you will end up with some very interesting recommendations. Then check those out of your local library.

I rarely use Amazon, just happened across the feature a couple of weeks ago. It's turned into a major time sink, I have a to-read list a couple of pages long, and I'm running the interlibrary loan courier ragged.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Dear Kevin:

We are very pleased and honored that Doug Stowe will be teaching Master Box Making here at American Sycamore June 26-30th. Doug is so talented and he is such a nice person. We are looking forward to his class.

thanks, Mike

Reply to
aswrcal

I just made 4 boxes from American Woodworker # 113 Jan 2005. Box Joints Spalted tops set in a frame.I have a spread sheet with other plans from different wood mags that I could fax or e-mail attachment. It has the source FWW,WJ,AM,Wood, finished size, very general description. This would be useless if you dont have the mags. Are band saw boxes in your hunt for books?

Reply to
henry

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote: : As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes. : The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete : Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics : : Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

: Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like : to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice : exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows : that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I : wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

In addition to others mentioned in this thread, look for books by Andrew Crawford. He has a couple, and another with Peter Lloyd; Looyd has another book as well. They are extraordinary:

should be available --

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss