Recommendations for desktop finish

Having only experience with Minwax poly. I'm looking for something else that I can finish my desk's top with. The wood is birch plywood and I want a surface that when dry will become hard and durable. Mostly to protect from water and writing on.
I went to eat at Olive Garden tonight and was looking at the table tops, whatever they used seemed fairly "thick" for a clear. Something similar would work well I think. If I can be picky something with a satin or semi-gloss finish.
Thanks,
Matt
I suspect they either put on about 20 coats of poly or went with epoxy. Epoxy can give you a thick, hard, durable finish if that's what you're after. As much as I hate poly, it may be your best alternative. I personally don't use the stuff because of the difficulty in re-coating if down the road there is a problem. A good varnish (other than poly) should suit just fine as well but won't offer quite the same protection as the poly will. Cheers, cc
<Matt In Fenton> wrote in message

So, what is wrong with poly? Only other choice would be one of the varnishes like they used to use on hardwood floors. Something like Gym Seal. Glenn
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:14:27 -0500, Matt In Fenton wrote:

Matt In Fenton wrote:
> Having only experience with Minwax poly. I'm looking for something > else that I can finish my desk's top with. The wood is birch plywood > and I want a surface that when dry will become hard and durable. > Mostly to protect from water and writing on.
<snip>
As the old saying goes, "you can't get there from here".
That's why desk protectors exist.
Sooner or later, a ball point pen will engrave that beautiful wood desk top, if you don't use one.
Seal it with 3-5 coats of epoxy, allowing 2-3 days between coats before sanding lightly with 100 grit, then seal with some final coats of poly.
Wait 2-3 weeks to place in service complete with a desk protector.
Been to the movie, don't need the T-Shirt.
Lew

Probably a pourable epoxy. Google that term and you'll find a number of sources.
--John
On Apr 3, 11:14 pm, Matt In Fenton wrote:

had to do some refinishing for a local Red Lobster and that is what the compeny head quarters recommended. also alot of schools are using the stuff on there gym floors. Since it has low fumes, drys fast, easy cleanup, and the chemicals used to strip it is less harse to the environment and health. Roger