Recommendations for damage repair - stereo cabinet - photos

See here for photos of the damage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35122445@N02/
Look forward to comments / suggestions regarding methods / materials for repair.
Doug
Doug wrote:

What haveyou got to lose by starting with some 600 grit wet or dry? Get rid of everything that you don't like, and then rebuild until you aresatisfied. It won't hurt if you possessartistic skills--as apainter with acrylics, for instance. If not, call on someone who does. Polish and blend.

Same recommendation, get a pro to fix it, or try yourself and probably forever be reminded of the damaged spot.

As someone who does this kind of work, I'd try steaming first, and see if that swells the dent.
I'd then try a stain match for the very small area where bare wood shows, applied with an artist's brush.
Then I'd tell you to accept it as part of the story of the piece, and live with it.
djb
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

On 12/4/2013 1:10 AM, Doug wrote:

Leon wrote:

"replacement wood" and replacing that small piece (rather like an "inlay"). Use gouges throughout. Finish to taste. The colors will probably blend better (as the piece darkens over time), so you may wish to plan for that. Worth it? Probably not. But for the hobbyist, it's may be a fun project. Surely it will add to the pride of ownership!