Recommendations for damage repair - stereo cabinet - photos

See here for photos of the damage:

Look forward to comments / suggestions regarding methods / materials for repair.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

What haveyou got to lose by starting with some 600 grit wet or dry? Get rid of everything that you don't like, and then rebuild until you aresatisfied. It won't hurt if you possessartistic skills--as apainter with acrylics, for instance. If not, call on someone who does. Polish and blend.

Reply to
Bill

Same recommendation, get a pro to fix it, or try yourself and probably forever be reminded of the damaged spot.

Reply to
Leon

As someone who does this kind of work, I'd try steaming first, and see if that swells the dent.

I'd then try a stain match for the very small area where bare wood shows, applied with an artist's brush.

Then I'd tell you to accept it as part of the story of the piece, and live with it.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Thanks Dave and all others for their comments and the benefit of their experiences.

Is clear the preferred approach is hire an experienced professional - the VOE is loud and clear!

Will find suitable scraps to try the several techniques on and see how they turn out.

Thanks again!

Doug

Dave Balderst>>

Reply to
Doug

Worst case, you try the repair and the pro fixes that too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

How about looking around the piece back or bottom for a bit of "replacement wood" and replacing that small piece (rather like an "inlay"). Use gouges throughout. Finish to taste. The colors will probably blend better (as the piece darkens over time), so you may wish to plan for that. Worth it? Probably not. But for the hobbyist, it's may be a fun project. Surely it will add to the pride of ownership!

Reply to
Bill