Recommendations for Corded Drill

or 20+ years.

willing to pay $150 for a good reliable drill.

sticks, frustrating to work with!  Looking for something more dependable , with no systemic mis/malfunctions, as with this  B&D, to contend with.

I'm wondering what tasks you have in mind. I've got a 1/2" Makita hammer-drill that fits your requirements. It's a nice solid tool although an obsolete model by now, I'm sure. Perfectly capable of injuring your wrist with the right bit too.

But even though the "hammer" feature can be disengaged, I seldom use that drill for anything but drilling into the masonry walls of my house. It's good for installing locks too (with hole saws) and making holes for conduit (with a 3/4" Greenlee "Nail-eater" bit). In short, jobs that need a more powerful drill. But for most other things I grab a lighter one. They're just less fatiguing to work with, and I don't need anything bigger to drill (most) holes in wood.

Reply to
Amy Guarino

He doesn't want quality. He wants a hole.

Reply to
HeyBub

From simple hole drilling to fairly heavy use in the woodshop and home cons truction type use. I do have a hammer drill, a pneumatic hammer drill, a P orter Cable cordless and a 3/8" corded. I like to keep the PC and 3/8" in the upholstery shop.

The garage sale B&D was a recent buy as a backup to my old 1/2" Craftsman, that I knew was on its last legs, and it did finally die the day I posted f or this recommendation for a new one.

I had been fighting the Craftsman's chuck for ages. The chuck became diffi cult to tighten properly and I got sick of keyed chucks, in general, becaus e of it. That's why I was leaning toward a keyless. I like the convenien ce of the keyless PC (2005), which the batteries are getting old and weak, too.

I bought the keyed Milwaukee, #0299-20. There was a time or 2 when the Cra ftsman twisted my hand & arm. It was a good drill, had it for 25-30 yrs.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The corded Makita half inch is not a bad drill either. At least the one you could buy 5 or so years ago.

Reply to
clare