Recommendations for Cabinets and draw units

I need some handsome utility cabinets and drawers for my tools, paint and materials in my workroom. My concern is that the Stanley and other good looking utility cabinets I see at Home Depot and other places like Sears may become obsolete in a few years and they would change the look. I expect to be buying these over a period of months and years and it would be a shame to find that I can't get the style in a few years.

Does anyone have experience in a style and brand that they feel will last over time? By the way, I am looking at prices where the cabinets with doors are about 6 ft high by about 3 ft wide are in the neighborhood of $150 to $200 each. The line must also have drawer units and work surface units available.

Reply to
eganders

Many of the tool storage devices that I didn't make are standard tool rollaways, free giveaway dressers, and discarded cabinets. I never worried if they matched, or for that matter, coordinated.

As I have time, I replace the freebies with nicely-built-by-me, purpose-built replacements.

Since this is for a work room, why not use the room to build your own, to your exact specs? You'll always know where to get more!

**
**

B A R R Y

Take a look at used office furniture.

Lateral and 4 high files are readily available.

I'd stay away from HON, they serve the bottom of the market.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

HON? Maybe I am not following, is that a brand name? Who sells it.

As far as using office cabinets. That is what I am using now and they are cream, white and what not. I want to try to have a consistant look and one I can keep on buying for years to come. I have a toolchest that I bought at Sears about 25 years ago. I can still buy that today. However, I need cabinets, drawer units and wall hanging units. Also, I could not afford multiple copies of the tool chest like I am going to need.

Reply to
eganders

HON is a brand of low cost office furniture.

Want your stuff all the same color?

Have the office equipment come out and spray paint it for you.

I've had it done more than once.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Kennedy and Waterloo tool cabinets have had the same look for many years ... and there are Kennedy knock-offs at Harbor Freight.

Me? I take the attitude that the workshop is for making furniture, not using it.

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Reply to
Mike Berger

Haven't looked at office furniture in years.

If Hon has added a high end line, I was unaware of it and my apologies to Hon.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know if they are high end or low end. All I know is that I bought a Hon filing cabinet in 1984 and it is doing fine -- despite the years of doubling as grad school end table and several inexpert moves.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Actually, HON has many lines, some high quality, some low cost, but seldom both. The stuff you find in Costco is thin gauge steel and should probably be avoided. If you can find their industrial line, go for it.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Look for electrostatic painting. You can check with any large used office furniture outfit and they should be able to hook you up with someone.

I've been in two offices that have had this done. It's amazing to watch them come in, move a LOADED file cabinet onto a sheet of cardboard just slightly larger than the base of the equipment, mask the hardware, lay some newspaper over the files that are now exposed since all the drawers are ajar and then they hit with the paint after connecting a wire to the piece. Paint only winds up on the article being painted. No overspray to speak of. Once that stuff hardens up (some sort of epoxy paint) it's like it's been oven baked.

As for HON, you'll realize the difference when you see the equipment. You can load a five drawer legal file cabinet into your van by yourself without breaking a sweat. If it doesn't fit, just stand it upright, pound on the top with your fists and shrink it a bit

Standing one of those next to a Steelcase file cabinet is like putting a piece of aluminum downspout next to a chunk of well casing or cast iron sewer pipe.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused