Recommendations for a electric ROS?

Looking to pick up something a little better tan my old PC palm sander. What ever it is, it has to have a decent dust to vacumn feature. And maybe variable speeds would be nice. Anyone want to suggest something?
< Anyone want to

Festool Rotex (if money is no object) :-) -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com WIN! $200 of woodworking tools of your choice! Enter online today. ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - EZ Smart Guide System - Ryobi EBS1310VK Belt Sander - Incra V27 Miter Gauge - GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner - Festool TDK Cordless Drills - Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps ------------------------------------------------------------

I have both a PC and a DeWalt 5" ROS. Like them both. See what feels best in your hand.
Go for a 6 incher, they are much faster. Think for a moment on what percent of the time you spend sanding (or ought to be sanding) a project. Six inch ROS's have much more real work area.
ray

While Ray makes a good point, *I* would not get a 6-incher. 6-inchers work beautifully if you are sanding a horizontal surface. IMNSHO the ergonomics go down the toilet if you hold it upside down, off a ladder or reaching inside a cabinet.
So I guess it depends on your style of work.
FWIW I'm happy with my makita 5" VS ROS. I'll second the rccomendation to see which model fits your hand well.
-Steve

Agreed. I have had my 5" ROS since 1989 and more often wish it were a bit smaller rather than larger. IIRC 5" paper is much easier to find and cheaper.
snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote:

I have been really happy with my Ridgid 6" ROS (Metabo/Germany). But I REALLY like my Festool Rotex. Festool also makes a dynamite 5" ROS. You get what you pay for.
0?0
Rob.
It takes a woman 20 years to turn her son into a man. Then it takes another woman less than 20 minutes to turn him into a blithering idiot. (Loosely translated from an Italian proverb)
Have only used it a few times, but the 6" Ridgid has very good dust collection. If that matters it is worth looking into. Just attach to a shopvac and dust is virtually gone.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:54:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote:

My PC VS333 has been great, but I do prefer a 6" air-driven one. It's only a chinwanese cheapie, but it works great.
Barry Lennox

I'm fine with my PC 333. Got it refurb'd for $39.
I'd second the motion for the 5" ROS. I have several sanders, but the 5" Bosch is the one I use the most. It's small enough to work on things like table legs, and still has enough power to take on big projects like refinishing hardwood floors (around the perimiter I mean) as I did last week. Fair dust collection, good ergonomics.
-Kiwanda