Recommendations for 12V drill for SWMBO ??

The 12v Firestorm SWMBO has used over the last five years or so has gone TU, well the batteries and charger have. Drill is still ok.
She doesn't use a drill a great deal, but 3-4 times a month would not be unusual. Sometimes drilling a few holes, sometime driving a few screws. She's a petite thing, and an 18v is too heavy and cumbersome for her. She also has small hands, so something with a thinner grip would probably fit her better.
I wanted to get a replacement with a decent charger and batteries. I'm thinking about the 12v Panasonic or perhaps the DeWalt. $90-130 range. A flashlight feature would be a plus.
Suggestions anyone?
Thanks, Roy
Roy wrote:

At this low level/occasional level of use, I'd be inclined to go with a "disposable" cordless drill from Harbor Freight or one of the Black & Deckers that go on sale regularly at Home Depot. I got one of the latter this summer for something like $36 including a canvas carry bag. Is it a DeWalt? No, but for someone who only uses them now and then, it's probably fine and at this price, you can afford to toss them out every few years.
Personally, I find both DeWalt and Makita make superb cordless drills ... but you pay for it.

I don't know if it's still available, but I like the Makita 12V drill and flashlight set that my sweetie got for me at Menard's one Christmas a few years ago. It was in the just under a hundred bux range, or so she claims . . . .
-- When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty

One reason I chose the Panasonic 15.6 is the size. Smaller than most 14.4V drills. Perhaps you should take her to the store to see what fits. I left the house with the intention of buying a Bosch, but after handling the display, the Panasonic was the one for me.

Either of those would be a great drill. Makita would be another option. Or even (dare I say it) the Craftsman Professional 12V model, on sale now for $70. (I have the 16.8v version, and it's adequate, though after 3 years the batts don't hold a charge as long as they used to, and I've been drooling over one of the NiMH or Li-Ion jobs...) For a model where weight and size are an issue, and that would face occasional use, I'd consider something with Lithium Ion batteries, which theoretically do better after long periods of storage. Maybe the Bosch PS20? For drilling, you'd need a set of bits with the 1/4" hex shanks, but I've heard good things about that mini-drill. Good luck, Andy
What size holes? What material? I have a 9.6V that's eight years old and just losing the batteries! I think one of the little 6 or 9.6 drills would be fine. I have a neat little Ryobi, in a case with screwdrivers and wrenches that was a Lowes special for about $25! Take her to lunchand have a glass of wine, then to Lowes and let her handle a few. You'll be popular. Take the rest of the afternoon off and go home. Wilson

This was mentioned in another thread. Wear the battery on your belt. Only $40 too.
http://www.barbarak.com/item.php?idv#top
-- Mark
Roy wrote:

The DeWalt 12v guns are very good . I've been using the same one in a commercial cabinet shop for several years . Just be sure to totally discharge the batteries before you put them on charge . They last a lot longer that way .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
none to one to reply

nicad is one of the worst things you can do WRT longevity of the battery. If you have a quality tool with a "smart" charger, the best place to leave the battery when not in use is ON the charger. If you have a "dumb" charger, i.e. one that does not automatically shut off, follow the manufacturer's directions.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Also, FWIW, if your batteries are *not* NiCd but Nickle Metal Hydride or Lithium Ion (I dunno if any of the cordless tools use these technologies, but many other consumer electronics do) you do NOT want to completely discharge them. NiMH and LiIon batteries do not benefit from deep cycle charge/discharge and it may actually reduce their usable life ... or so I have read.
I haven't seen anyone talk about hitachi. I know a couple of ladies that like that paticular brand in drills. The drills only see occasional use and appear to hold up well.
Roy wrote:

Thanks, folks, for the input. I think I'll take the advice here and take her down to the store on Saturday and let her try them out herself.
Regards, Roy

Roy,
FWIW, take a look at http://www.barbarak.com/powertools_item.php?idv#top
I have no idea if these are any good or not. I just happened to stumble across the Barbara K line of tools which are, supposedly, designed specifically for women. No affiliation etc., etc.
Hope this helps. If so, report back to the group.
Peter.

On 09/01/2007 10:47 AM, Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

A cordless drill with a cord. What will they think of next? :-)

A battery pack that goes on your waist?
Puckdropper