Recommendation of wood for cabinet refacing

I'm thinking of refacing the cabinets in my master and guest bathroom. I'm considering using the Rockler program buy purchasing drawers/doors and peel-and-stick veneer.
The wood selection is red oak, maple, ash, cherry, and hickory. We would like the final look to be a "fruitwood" look. We had our kitchen cabinets refaced about 8 years ago with maple and we had a finisher come in and sprayed a tinted lacquer finish that is a kind of "fruitwood" look. Came out great.
Unfortunately, I don't have the capabilities for spray finishing so what would you recommend as a good wood for a wiping/brush only technique to finish with a "fruitwood" like finish.
I know that wipe on stains for maple are a problem as is cherry.
Any good books on finishing that you would recommend?
Thanks.

Why not *rent* a spray system? Its not like you'd need it for weeks on end. :)