Recommendation for a Brad Nailer

Need a recommendation for a brad nailer
5/8" - 2+" 18 gauge brad nailer....
Bostich, Dewalt, Senco, Porter-Cable ?
Thanks
cp wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

Well, 2" brads generally bend before hitting home, so I have limited myself to shorter brad models. IMHO, if you need a fastener that long, you should consider a finish nailer instead. An 18 gauge brad 2" long will often end up sticking out of the side of the workpiece.
I am boycotting Stanley/Bostich products these days, so...
I have a Senco Finish Pro 15 and a Harbor Freight $39.00 special. I bought the HF last year just to see if I would ever use it - and I have used it quite a bit. The Senco FP15 was include free with a Senco FramePro Framing Nailer I bought last month - didn't even know it was there till I opened the box! Both work fine - but:
The Senco is lighter, quieter, and has a plastic guard on the safety lever to prevent marring your work. It has a more precise 'feel' to it - it's a nice piece made in Taiwan. It has a thumb-wheel adjustment to control the depth of drive - and it works as advertised. Although it has seen limited use thus far, it has never jammed or misfired, and it handles brads from 5/8 to 1 1/4".
The HF is OK. It hasn't jammed once in 8000 brads, but is heavier, clunkier, and the safety guard is a rather loose fitting affair. It occasionally leaves indentations on the workpiece from the safety lever. It is Chinese, and includes an O-ring rebuild kit and a leaky bottle of air tool oil. It does NOT have a depth of drive adjustment, and you must fiddle with the air pressure to control the depth - which varies according to the material density you are driving brads into. It handles brads up from 5/8" to 1 3/16" I believe.
Greg

I'm real happy with my senco guns     Bridger
cp, I just got the P-C brad nailer to complement my P-C finish nailer.
I'll agree w/ the other posters that 2" brads will be problematic. Get a finish nailer for those lengths. The P-C unit I got was reasonably priced and seems to work well.
Jeff

I've got a Porter-Cable FN250. Felt that it gave me the largest range of nail sizes for the price.

I went with the Porter Cable finish and brad nailers. My suggestion is to watch eBay and pick them up for about 2/3 of retial price. I watched the auctions for about 3 weeks and finally got mine for under $75 each.
cp wrote:

I couldn't be happier with my Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H2911
Brian.

Harbor Freight, lots of junk there, but everyone (including me) seems happy with the brad nailers. For 20-30 bucks it's tough to beat. I just bought one for my FIL for $20 which includes a case and a couple boxes of nails.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message

Senco XP25 - about $150, oil-less, and USA made. One top notch nailer.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:29:42 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC

$150 for a Senco? Unless my bread and butter depends on it, I would rather buy a $19 HF's brad nailer, or seven HF's brad nailer to one Senco XP25!
Bottom line = $150 Vs $19!

A) I believe in buying the best I can afford. 2) I don't want any frustration with what may turn out to be a cheap tool (as opposed to an inexpensive one). C) I believe in supporting American made products - if the dollars I spent help feed, clothe and shelter a neighbor so that they in turn can support their neighbor, then that's where I'll direct my money. It's not always about how cheaply you can buy your goods and services as to whether you and your's prosper.
Pneumatic or electric? I recently bought the "Task Force" electric--shoots 5/8"-1 1/4"--for less than $50, so far, so good!
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

If you have the cash, Senco. Buy their fasteners too.
Phisherman wrote:

I have the Senco "Accuset" brad nailer. Senco brads are difficult to find in my area. I tired using other brands, which caused the gun to jam.
I contacted Senco about the problem their tech support told me that if I wanted to use other manufacture's brads to load them one notch higher than normal for the Senco brand, as the Senco brads are slightly shorter than the others. Doing so solved the problem.

I'm very happy with my P-C brad nailer, which I got as a factory recon. for about 50% of new retail. I have a Senco oil-less 15 ga finish nailer that is definitely the cat's pajamas. Got it from e-bay, used, kinda ugly, but can't beat the price or the performance.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I use and recommend the bostich. SH
I definatly recommend the porter cable i have been using mine for about 2 years and have yet to have a problem with it.