RECOMENDATIONS FOR JAPANESE SAW PLEASE

Some day in the not to distant future the Sun is going to it's damp winter home (I live in Oregon) and I am going back to my shop. My plan is to arm myself with a few things that I just can't live without. 5th or 6th on the list is a Japamese saw. I plan to use it to cut dovetails in Walnut and Mapel. I want to spend around $40 unless I can get the same thing for $20.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
So far I have been easly manipulated by you folks. You say buy the Dewalt 12" compound sliding Miter Saw ... I buy the Dewalt 12" compound sliding Miter Saw. You say it's OK to buy the MiniMax 10" Table Saw with the scoring blade... I buy the MiniMax 10" Table Saw with the scoring blade. You tell me that 16x32 drum sander is a good investment and I of course, do the right thing. I have explaind to my wife that it is just better for every one involved if I heed your well thought out advice.
Thanks for all your help
Russ
I recommend The Japan Woodworker as a tool supplier. Check out their dozuki saws:
www.japanwoodworker.com
Good service, good tools, lots to choose from.
No affiliation, just satisfied.
-jbb

snipped-for-privacy@osuchialpha.com (russ) wrote in

So what you want for dovetails is the Adria Dovetail saw, or the LN Independence Dovetail saw. Or both. And explain to the wife that the budget was just preliminary, and you're sorry that you were off by about $200.
That always works, doesn't it? I mean, you got the MiniMax, didn't you?
Patriarch

I got an Adria saw and found it to be a nice saw. It's beautiful. But like other push saws it still binds in the kerf sometimes and this gives me an irregular cut. Maybe this is a user skill issue, but I used it for a while and it didn't get better. The Adria is probably better than my crosscut dozuki for dovetails. I have an easier time cutting straight with it, particularly compared to my really fine crosscut dozuki. If you want to get a cheap crosscut dozuki for dovetails get one with a middling number of teeth, not a really fine one. The fine one I have cuts too slowly and wanders easily in its kerf. (These cheap saws have a large set so the kerf is wide and because it's a crosscut saw it doesn't rip cut very fast.)
For dovetails what you want is a Japanese dozuki saw with RIP teeth. Lee Valley sells one for around $80 and I like it much better than the Adria saw. It cuts fast, smooth and straight and it never binds in the kerf. Once I got this the Adria has just been collecting dust. If you want alternatives to Lee Valley you can look at www.hidatool.com as well as Japan Woodworker. Hida I think has a rip tooth dozuki around $80.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Adrian Mariano) wrote in
<snip>

Adrian, I'm pretty sure it's a user preference issue. There are many folks who prefer the pull saw, particularly when cutting dovetails. However, the muscle memory ingrained in me really early on the use of a handsaw still takes over, and I want to push. Even when I KNOW that's not right. So the push saws work best for me.
You should use what works for you. We're here to make nice things, and enjoy ourselves.
Patriarch
On 6 Sep 2004 01:25:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@osuchialpha.com (russ) calmly ranted:

I picked up one of their razor (Ryoba) saws last week and I like it better than my Lee Valley (French imported) dovetail saw. It's was $25.95 delivered via a coupon in the FWW, and I found out later that it was made specifically for softwoods. I'll pick up a hardwood blade for it next. If you call them, ask for the hardwood model and see if they still honor the coupon price. Gyokucho Noko Giro http://thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .610.0&dept_id812
The hardwood model, specifically for maple, etc. is http://thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .611.0&dept_id812
http://thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .132.10&dept_id809 is their $35 Dozuki Noko Giri (dovetail saw) and it looks nice, but I haven't tried it.
Both are under your stated budget.
If you have trouble with the links, go to www.thejapanwoodworker.com and click on: Woodworking Tools Saws & saw blades Japanese Pull-style saws and Dozuki or Ryoba

They also have $114 Kondo and $140 Izaemon professional dovies. http://thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .117.02&dept_id809 http://thejapanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .114.21&dept_id809

Thank us by sending money or tools. They're expensive! ;)
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development