recived this today from pop woodworking

Doh... sorry to hear that. It sucks when you don't have all your digits working for you. It seems as though when you are getting near healing you will start to ignore it... then we will do something dumb and bang it on something and set yourself back a few days...

A little hardware cloth over the impeller will be a usable new guard.. just screw it through the housing with washers...

As for the finger no more Swingy... now just stumpy.

Sheperd's are great dogs. What kind of dog (aside from not friendly to other dogs) was your dads?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, it will give you an extra day to heal and not be in the shop injuring stumpy. Let someone else carve the Turkey.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Been there, years back I had a Malamute, one day going by the neighbors she ended up in a tussle with a shepard, doberman and yes a springer spaniel. 3 on 1 didn't seem fair. Springer spaniel was entertainment he latched onto the hair on the Mals ass and held on as they went in circles with no feet on the ground. My first mistake was a bare knuckle swing on the shepards mouth, damn that hurt. Next drop kicked the Doby in the nuts, didn't faze him but hurt my ankle, then the neighbors wife turned the hose on all of us. They still give me a bad time about fighting with the dogs. But we were the only ones that didn't need treatment. That was a great dog.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

He was a registered Staffordshire Bull Terrier. A bit stockier and more bulldog looking than the current Pit Bull here in the US.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

By the way I don't really like what he is doing with his left hand, either. If he gets kickback somehow, there's no telling where that hand is going to end up.

I have a guide stick idea I got from a Jim Tolpin book, where the business end of the stick widens out and is a 4" wide (+/-) featherboard. And the featherboard has a v-shaped edge on it that will rest on top and on the side of a board edge. I will routinely use that instead of a hand when a piece needs to be guided on the far end of the cut.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

They're helpful for accuracy, since you're working over the heel of blade, which wants to lift the cove. Saves you from having to make extra passes. Nothing fancy, just a short bit of 1x tacked down to the rear block, if the block and workpiece are the same thickness.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Also had a female Malamute - Nanook. Most gentle dog you would ever see

- except if she thought other animals (including cats) or people were in danger. I heard her bark 3 times in 10 years, but she could do a quiet continuous woof to greet me, along with a full body wag. Having to have her put down due to cancer brought tears to my eyes.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn