Rechargeable battery rebuilding

There were several discussions in this newsgroup relating to rebuilding batteries. As I remember, there were several favorable comments about the feasibility of rebuilding versus buying a new battery. I surfed the net and found several "rebuilders". Their prices were not inviting. Rebuilding could cost more than a new battery. (Milwaukee). Anyone have first-hand info on this subject.??
John
John Eppley wrote:

People seem to rave about Primecell, but the OLD Skil battery they rebuilt for me doesn't seem all that great. I'd probably not have done it but for the fact that Panasonic is killing me on the free drill promotion, which is in another thread of mine.
JP

Is there a BatteriesPlus store anywhere near you? The one near me will rebuild battery packs at about 60% of the price of a new pack.

--
Regards,
I e-mailed my local BatteriesPlus store for a quote. Thanks for the tip.

That is quite common. I think they hope most people don't know how to put 2+2 together. I once paid less for a drill, 2 batteries, charger, flash light, and case than the price of 2 batteries.
I've bought batteries from them and was not all that satisfied. After many many years of use, the nicads in my Norelco razor died. I brought it into a Batteries Plus and had the batteries replaced about 2 years ago. The new ones are already nearly dead. Barely hold a charge for 2 uses; and no I haven't become a wolfman of late!!
I think that they are not using the best quality cells.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:41:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Our Batteries Plus (Jacksonville Fl) is offering 20% off. I just had a 12 v PC battery rebuilt for $25. I haven't had it long enough to know how long it will last. But the price was right.
EarlinJax
Earl in Jax wrote:

Hey all,
Try this electronics supplier: www.digikey.com or www.digikey.ca
This is the Ni-Cad page; they supplies Panasonic batteries:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C061/1586-1587.pdf
They ship next day. I rebuilt my (two) 14.4V Dewalt packs for just under $100 CAN. One pack costs $95-$105.
Easy to do and half the price of new batteries.
Ciao for now.
Thanks for the info. I contacted our local dealer and received a quote of $65, plus tax, plus shipping. The total cost would be at least $84. I placed an order for a new 18 volt drill with two batteries and a charger for $199, no tax, no shipping. A "no-brainer". BTW, our local Lowe's and Home Depot both carry the battery for $79 plus tax of 6%.
I will try to "rebuild" my old battery pack.......after the two new packs arrive.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
John

I don't know where you got your battery prices, but when I went to price batteries for my 12 year old Milwaukee cordless, they cost a fortune. I had both my batteries rebuilt for approximately $60 each (Canadian). Works as well as when they were new.
John Eppley wrote:

I believe that ensuring all the batteries used to replace the old ones have the same charge rate, charged voltage, and dissipation rate is enough to have good results with this. If you buy brand stuff from the same batch you're probably good. If you're buying surplus you may have to check this stuff with a multimeter.
My "first hand" experience is with a cheapo B&D cordless kit that uses two (proprietary) batteries for some tools, one for others. There are caveats with this kit that mirror your situation: Don't mix the "silver" and the "gold" batteries, don't discharge one then use the pair in the drill and expect to get good results, etc.
I also diddle a bit with MCU's and shtuff, and have looked into this question myself with regard to an old laptop battery.
er
--
email not valid

I've always rebuilt my own battery packs ,cheaper than having someone else do it and easy too.The 'trick' is to replace ALL the cells NOT the 1 or 2 bad ones. It is sad that you can buy a drill/charger/batteries 'package' for less than a spare battery. Welcome to our cheap,use once,toss out,disposible society. My city(Hamilton,Ontario) will NOT recycle consumer electronics,steel,aluminium,etc. go figure, it ALL gos into the nearly stuffed landfill. Jay

The aluminum, at least, you should be able to sell to a scrap dealer. Going rates where I live (Indianapolis) are US$60/ton for iron and steel, and 65 cents per pound for aluminum.
--
Regards,

It is like wood. some places are worth the while to recycle at the scrap dealer some aren't. In Houston we get 38 cents per pound for aluminum.
I am interested in your technique for connecting the individual cells. My industrial experience predicates welding the cells using a ribbon connector. Do you have a small welder, or are you soldering the cells together??
I will try to rebuild my "sick" battery pack. Since I ordered 2 new batteries, I can afford to experiment with the sick one.
John
I've done both, but simply soldering pretinned ends of 'Solderwick' desoldering braid to the cells has always worked for me for the past 40+years.I use a 100 W Weller iron,3/8 chisel tip same one I use for stained glass work. I built a CD welder for a test once similar to a 'ni-cad' zapper,just more power.I liked the iron better. Jay