Rechargable batteries

Page 3 of 3

I have a little 1/4" collet router by B&D that I always reach for. Rack & pinion elevation adjustment, all cast construction, kicks like a little mule on start-up, screams like a demon, and I just love it.
I have discovered that almost every major manufacturer of tools has at least one tool in their arsenal that stands out. (Of course the really SMART manufacturers no longer make them...</cynicism> )

I have a little 1/4" collet router by B&D that I always reach for. Rack & pinion elevation adjustment, all cast construction, kicks like a little mule on start-up, screams like a demon, and I just love it.
I have discovered that almost every major manufacturer of tools has at least one tool in their arsenal that stands out. (Of course the really SMART manufacturers no longer make them...</cynicism> )
I probably have the same router. 3/4 hp IIRC. I got it in 1974. IIRC DeWalt used that design several years back.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:16:47 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

What I like about non-NiCd batteries is the lack of self discharge.
Since I don't use the tools every day, they sit well in the bag or cabinet, simply waiting for me, good to go! <G>
On Feb 27, 6:17 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

You're NOT using NiMH, then. It is noted for its speedy self- discharge. Li-On presumably is not. I haven't had any long enough to really know. I do know that all the NiMH batteries I've had, of whatever configuration, self-discharge at a rate of more than 1% a day. NiCad doesn't drop its charge nearly as fast, IME.
Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 2:06pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: <snip> Any thoughts or suggestions?
My thought is, all this merely reinforces my decision to stick with corded drills.
Both of my sons own, and use, at their jobs, battery tools. Because they often work at job sites with no power available, thus require them. At home, I don't think either uses battery tools, just corded tools.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
(Leon)

Well corded is a must have and I have a couple but the clutch on the cordless drills is a nice feature that would probably cut deeply into battery drill sales, so we will probably never see one.
On Feb 27, 6:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

For me, if I was working on a site that had no power and wanted to insure my days pay, the last thing I would rely on is a cordless tool. I would have a small 1.5 or 2 KW genset (carry with one hand) or a true sine inverter in the truck. I may still have the cordless but I surely wouldnt rely on them for my days pay. Too short sighted. An even further suck factor for cordless tools is many of the chargers will not perform, or perform at 1/2 power or less, on genset or inverted (not true sine) power. This means plugging them in to a generator or low end inverter may result in slow charging or majic smoke. Buying dedicated 12vdc chargers is a further nudge toward a good small genset.
Mark
Wed, Feb 27, 2008, 4:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (BDBConstruction) doth sayeth: For me, if I was working on a site that had no power and wanted to insure my days pay, the last thing I would rely on is a cordless tool. I would have a small 1.5 or 2 KW genset <snip>
Normally I would agree. However, they only need to drill a hole or two, maybe cut a 2X4, 2X6, etc. One does heating and air, the other refrigeration. In their case it would take them more time getting a genset out and setting it up than just using a battery tool. In their situation, battery tools actually make sense.