Rechargable batteries

You're NOT using NiMH, then. It is noted for its speedy self- discharge. Li-On presumably is not. I haven't had any long enough to really know. I do know that all the NiMH batteries I've had, of whatever configuration, self-discharge at a rate of more than 1% a day. NiCad doesn't drop its charge nearly as fast, IME.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That's the thing about HF--a lot of their stuff is so cheap that if you buy and find out that it's crap then you still got a fair price just for the information that it's crap. And quite a lot of it works quite well.

I mean you'd pay a good chunk of that six bucks for a magazine with a review of cordless screwdrivers.

Reply to
J. Clarke

hooked 6, 12 automotive batteries to the thing and it only ran faster. I never could get it to fail. I would not be surprised it the motors in all the drills are the same and only geared differently to get the speed and or power.

Reply to
Leon

I have a little 1/4" collet router by B&D that I always reach for. Rack & pinion elevation adjustment, all cast construction, kicks like a little mule on start-up, screams like a demon, and I just love it.

I have discovered that almost every major manufacturer of tools has at least one tool in their arsenal that stands out. (Of course the really SMART manufacturers no longer make them... )

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a little 1/4" collet router by B&D that I always reach for. Rack & pinion elevation adjustment, all cast construction, kicks like a little mule on start-up, screams like a demon, and I just love it.

I have discovered that almost every major manufacturer of tools has at least one tool in their arsenal that stands out. (Of course the really SMART manufacturers no longer make them... )

I probably have the same router. 3/4 hp IIRC. I got it in 1974. IIRC DeWalt used that design several years back.

Reply to
Leon

faster. I

Once worked for a company that built small motors (window, wiper, etc) for the auto industry.

Standard test for a window motor was to lock the rotor, close the switch on a fully charged battery and see what would happen.

If the motor did not survive to run again, it was considered as a failed unit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What's really irritating about that is that the motors are so strong and never fail. But it seems that all the regulator designs have some other weak link. Sometimes it is a plastic gear rack, or a cable or some plastic bracket or cable slide that fail after a couple of years of use. The manufacturers have all gone to servicing only the full assembly at a couple hundred bucks minimum because a 30 cent part has failed.

Frank, who has a shed full of perfectly good motors on defective power window regulators, waiting for one of those motors to actually fail. Maybe I can convert them to power drivers.........

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yeah, and especially frustrating to a service manager that had to listen to the complaints. Up until the late 70's the windo regulator motor on GM cars was in direct contact with the window regulator. It engaged an arcked piece of steel with teeth on it. Then the bright idea was to complicate the set up and add a flimsy track guide and made the track out of plastic, that plastic track of course engaged a small plastic gear in the regulator motor. I think they got the idea from the similar power antenna design.

;~)

Reply to
Leon