Rebuilding Rechargable batteries

I am looking for a new rebuilder, I had been using PrimeCell.
About 2 years ago I had a battery rebuilt by Prime cell and it worked great for about 18 months. This battery was run down almost completely 5 days out of the week. Pleased I had it rebuilt again in June. within 2 months I saw that the battery was already not performing as expected. I contacted Primecell and they made several suggestion of things to check and none helped. They suggested returning the battery and I would get a 2/3 discount on replacement since the rebuild had been less than 60 days.
For those using Primecell, their warranty is free replacement for the first 30 days, you pay 1/3 for replacement after 30 days and you pay 2/3 replacement between 60-90 days. After that the battery is out of warranty. AND you pay shipping both ways.
Prime Cell does not stand behind their products. In this particular instance a new battery comes with a 6 month battery from the manufacturer.
So any recommendations?
On 11/29/2012 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:

I had the same problems with batteries from PrimeCell ... I have two dead DeWalt 18v that petered out within a few of months and would not hold a charge.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Were they XRP batteries? The reason I ask is that line is winding down and those batteries (at least to me) are reasonably cheap to buy new. I can buy a pair of them at the local HD for$90.00.
What may I ask did it cost for PrimeCell to rebuild one of them?
On 11/29/2012 9:28 AM, Dave wrote:

Keep in mind that those batteries may be old from actual date of manufacture. These batteries may already be well past their prime. Something to think about.
Typically it is always better to have a battery rebuilt with new Fresh cells.

On 11/29/2012 9:28 AM, Dave wrote:

I bought a couple of Makita drills and just used the DeWalt XRP as a backup, although it is a very usable drill and still a good backup in the house/truck.
I may buy a L-ion battery for the DeWalt, but haven't done any homework on them yet. They're awfully damn proud of two L-ion 18v batteries and a charger these days.
IME, the L-ion batteries keep a charge longer when not under use, so they should be ideal for keeping the old Dewally as a rarely used backup/extra.
> What may I ask did it cost for PrimeCell to rebuild one of them?
Two 18v XRP's for $96 from PrimeCell in 2008, they quit as described above.
Two more 18v XRP's for $70 from
www.voltmanbatteries.com
Also in 2008, and they lasted a bit longer, but not much.
Basically no longer happy with either of these rebuild services ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/29/2012 11:06 AM, Swingman wrote:

From what I understand a L-Ion charger will most often charge the other type batteries however not the other way around. From what I understand you need a special smart charger for L-ion.

Look at this place, I am doing a 72 hour recycle recharge on my battery to see if that helps but will probably order here if I need to replace it. This is for the robot vac BTY. :~)
http://www.mtobattery.com/store /
6 month warranty and I - mailed them 2 times this morning with quick responses.
Might also look at BatteryPlus near your home.
Glad this thread came up. I have 7 yr old batteries that may need rebuilding. They charge, but don't stay charged for very long, at all. For a PC drill, bought in 2005. I've never search for a charging service, here.
Sonny

You might get some rebuilding suggestions if you indicate where "here" is.
On Friday, November 30, 2012 1:26:13 AM UTC-6, Upscale wrote:

Lafayette, LA.
For some time, I've considered sending my batteries to PrimeCell, but as long as I could charge and use them, even for a short while, I've hesitated sending them. This PrimeCell report is appreciated.
The local "Builders Tools & Fasteners" can probably direct me to a rebuilder. I do at least half of my "tool business" with them and Marion seems to know every related business in the area and their owners by first name. Backup advisors (W-rec) are always appreciated, as well. Sonny
On 11/29/2012 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

You should check out Battery Plus on Beachnut near your house. Good warranty.
On 11/29/2012 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:

Surely there're any number of locals to choose from there, aren't there?
I save up and take a bunch w/ me when go to Wichita to a local shop there...

I recently bought a couple of batteries from batterydepot.com for my Bosch and so far so good. prices are better than primecell and shipping is 99cents and I don't have to send them and pay shipping both ways YMMV
On 11/29/2012 10:03 AM, ChairMan wrote:

Thanks, Ill take a look.
On Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:04:21 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Do you live in or near a larger town. We used to live in Wichita and we had two good, local alternatives that rebuilt and warranted tool batteries.
RonB
On 11/29/2012 10:51 AM, RonB wrote:

Houston but oddly Google searches don't turn up much.

How long does it take for your batteries to charge. My XRP batteries (about seven years old) take 35-40 minutes to get up a full charge.
Dave wrote:

I actually don't know. The instructions that came with the drill and battery said not to leave the battery in the charger for more than seven hours, so the six-hour choice on the timing unit works adequately.
On 11/29/2012 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:

AS a follow up, the battery in question powers an iRobot vacuum cleaner. It absolutely runs 5 days a week and most of the time the unit will shut down once the battery becomes discharged to a certain degree. Typically the daily run time is about 90~105 minutes. The Primecell battery is not quite 6 months old and runs for 25 minutes. The previous battery ran for 70 minutes after 18 months.
Anyway I went with Battery Plus. They had the 3000mah battery in stock today and the cost was $50 less $5 with a coupon. ONE YEAR WARRANTY. If it only lasts a year it is still cheaper than the Primecell that lasted 18 months.