Rebirth of the American Chestnut Tree

http://www.americanprofile.com/articles/rebirth-of-the-american-chestnut-tree /
I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree in the wild, but I hope I get to see one before I die.
Also check out the American Chestnut Foundation: http://www.acf.org /
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 2/6/2012 10:55 AM, Steve Turner wrote: ...

Well, not entirely... :)
VPI has a couple from which the seed stock for the work originated that came back from the roots of trees that were severely damaged but not completely killed. They have protected the locations of these assiduously over the many years to prevent them from being poached.
I have seen one of them in accompaniment w/ one of the original researches some 30 yr ago now while still located in Lynchburg. It was about 20-ft at that time.

It will indeed be a wondrous event when they are widely redistributed across all the Appalachians/Blue Ridge.
Along the same vein there are still some small areas of TVA land that have not been logged that have tremendous stands of beech and other native hardwoods that are truly awesome. These are also pretty well kept under wraps as they are small individual stands as opposed to larger areas...

I am not going to say where I have seen them, but I have seen them in NY State, under guidance of a naturalist. They are all saplings, perhaps bearing a few nuts, then die of the disease. So they aren't really extinct, but they don't ever get fully grown. I sure hope that these "new" and resistant trees are going to make it, and that the virus won't mutate enough to nullify the resistance.
--
Best regards
Han

Oosp, not a virus, but a fungus. Is totally different.
--
Best regards
Han

I the yard we have a Chinese Chestnest and its off spring, the deer and the squirrels not as majestic as the American variety.