Reasons to be careful

I ground my dust collector duct-work to fend off the mind control rays from outer-space. It also helps disperse those pesky chemtrails the gummint is using to make me more subservient.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I simply don't worry about it. There are numerous other things in the shop that make sparks and on a continuous basis. Like "any" electric tool or machine that has a universal motor. Yes damn near any hand held power tool. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

You have worried about the excessive collection of dust in your shop, and ALL of the problems that it may cause. You have installed a dust collector so the dust is controlled and diverted to safe areas.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

OK, ground the equipment (it should be anyway) but the plastic pipe between them? Really?! The only thing I see the ground wire accomplishing is to plug the thing up.

Reply to
krw

The one's I've seen grounded (to prevent uncomfortable static shocks, not "explosions") were grounded by a wire on the outside of the plastic pipe, not inside.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Remember an accident is a chain of unlikely events aligning. Now if and when someone has a dust explosion from saw dust, the cause will not be static. The water heater, furnace or other open flame in the room yep that would do it. But what did "you" do to suspend that much dust in the air? Sugar on the other hand burns great and fast, powdered is best (do not try in a confined space).

Mark

Reply to
Markem

-MIKE- wrote in news:nal8vg$s8s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Right, that's how I did mine. I just wrapped a wire around the outside of the pipe and that pretty much solved the problem.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

AND it blocks the mind control rays.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:nalb3f$416$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Are they the ones that cause you not to end a sentence with a punctuation mark?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"OFWW" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

When I was an 8th grader, a buddy of mine and I were hired by the local CO-OP to broom out the corn dust in the head houses of the grain elevators in my home town. They wanted it done because they feared a buildup of the dust might cause an explosion given the right conditions. We liked the job because no one came to look in on us because it was such a dirty job: after about five minutes of pushing brooms the headhouses would have so much powder in the air you couldn't see across the room. We also liked it because we could stand outside the headhouse and smoke cigarettes without fear of being caught. An additional elevator was built when I was a sophomore. It was about 60 feet taller than the old one so the design was to build a 24" diameter auger up to the head house on the new structure from the old one. One Saturday after the new elevator had been slipped and had been cured enough to drill concrete anchors into it, the engineers came up to the top of the old elevator where we had started cleaning. Of course we were smoking. It was cold outside so we were inside. They got off the man lift just as my buddy took a deep drag on his cig. They saw the glowing coals through the corn dust cloud and nearly trampled each other getting the hell back on the man lift to escape what they were sure to be a huge explosion. They apparently didn't squeal on us. But a few minutes later the elevator operator came up and said to stay up there until the dust cleared then come down.

When I was a Junior I told the story to my science teacher. Without profanity he called my buddy and I a couple of dumb asses and then explained spontaneous combustion. For the class he made an example. He took a 2 pound coffee can. He drilled a hole on the side near the bottom where he attached a length of tubing. He put a votive candle inside near the center of the bottom. Then he poured a ring of cornstarch around the candle. He lit the candle and put a lid on the can. He blew a short puff of air in the tube. The ball of fire was big enough to scorch the ceiling tiles!

Stupid is as stupid does.

Steve

Reply to
SnA Higgins

On 02/24/2016 6:30 PM, SnA Higgins wrote: ...

But not spontaneous combustion...that is like the haystack that catches itself on fire from internal heat buildup from decomposition owing to having been too damp when put up.

Explosive combustion such as you're describing requires an external ignition source; here the candle; possibly your cigarette butt in the story.

Is fortunate you didn't have a "boom!" moment, indeed. Perhaps were lucky in there being sufficient "dirt dirt" in the mixture besides the grain dust so that had a high aerial concentration but much of it wasn't that combustible, who knows...or maybe it "just wasn't your time" yet.

Reply to
dpb

No I have not worried about excessive dust in the shop. I once buried my choc Lab under a pile on the out feed side of the planer. She was not worried either. ;~)

I got a dust collector because I got sick and tired of cleaning up and tracking dust into the house. I absolutely did not worry about any dangers other than breathing in that stuff. And again FWIW I was commenting about a spark creating an explosion not excessive dust or any other problems that it caused other than a mess.

Reply to
Leon

Are you a ghost? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Come on! No one really believes it was shot on a sound stage. Regardless of films like "Star Wars", everyone knows there's no sound in space.

Reply to
krw

Right. A safe area is anywhere that's not in my lungs. Other than that, a DC is a convenience.

Reply to
krw

At sea level the air pressure is 15PSI. Every 2" of vacuum is equivalent to a 1 PSI drop in pressure. So at what point do you consider a vacuum a vacuum? And how does a gasoline engine operate when its intake manifold is in a vacuum if there was no oxygen? IOW's how many inches of vacuum required before all oxygen is boiled off, and that includes the oxygen from moisture.

An overheated bearing would have to be above 425 degF as I recall to burn wood. A spark is a different animal. A spark hitting a muffler packed with steel wool sets it on fire which sets the sawdust on fire and minor implosion in a vacuum system, and hey! It was my imagination so don't be a party pooper, K?

Reply to
OFWW

Durn Irishmen!

Reply to
OFWW

Speaking of which, any motor with brushes, spark. It is the nature of the beast, and capacitor start motors had a switch which opens up when a certain RPM is reached, and it too sparks.

One has to have a TEFC IIRC or an explosion proof motor to contain sparks on failure of a motor.

I am afraid this threads becoming a bit irrational. As many times as a saw blade has hit a nail, especially on a TS and thrown the spark into the dust bin below if it were a serious problem we'd of heard about it the day the women who invented the TS operated it. :)

Reply to
OFWW

Mark, that's called Caramelization. :)

Now have the little woman dump a 5lb bag into her Mixer bowl on Hi

-speed.....naw.

Reply to
OFWW

Great story, I was waiting for the punch line. And that is why reasonable precaution should not be thrown into the wind.

I'm glad neither of you were hurt, I have heard stories of elevator explosions.

Reply to
OFWW