really OT.

Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can you share details that don't implicate legal action.
Sal
On 7/26/12 2:56 PM, sal wrote:

Check with your state's employment bureau or equivalent and ask them about the law. TN is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be fired for any reason at all, as long as it's not because of race, religion, disability, etc. Meaning you can be fired because the boss just doesn't like your attitude... OR because he's a racist a-hole... he just has to say it was for a different reason. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Right-to-Work" means something rather different than you think.
We just went through that here in Indiana; it was a pretty contentious issue here. "Right-to- Work" means that state law prohibits making employment contingent on membership in a labor union.
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:44:19 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Correct. The opposite of "right-to-work" is "closed shop". I believe the antonym of "at will" is "implied contract".
On 7/26/12 8:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

TN is both right to work and hire/fire at will. Policies/rules for both are often contained under the same legislation, so using one term in the context of expressing the other could be explained by that.
I've only had to deal with "right to work" on rare occasion. The old guard of the local musician union would try to get you to sign up with the union at the bigger shows in town. They'd be like, "Hey, you need to sign this paper if you want to get paid for this gig." I'd say, "No I don't, Tennessee is a right-to-work state," then turn around and walk away.
--

-MIKE-

So is Indiana -- now. We've been "employment at will" for as long as I've lived here, but "right to work" only since the middle of March.

Agree .. Call your local labor office and ask.

Same here in Ohio. I was let go while I was out recuperating from a car accident. Rear-ended on the highway by a guy talking on his cell while on my way to work. Boss called me two days before I was due back to work and said don't bother, they replaced me. Two days later the company posted my job for hire. Takes 6-12 mos training for my job not counting the experience or education. I went elsewhere for more money.
In typed:

And union if you're in one. I know IBEW covers a lot of stuff once they get their fingers into a company's gonads. Precedence is their main tool from what I've seen go down.

It would help if you said where you were located. Laws differ in different states in the US and if you are in Canada then I believe they differ quite a lot from the US.
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:56:46 -0500, sal wrote:

I suppose you would like answers that won't land you in jail? Alabama is an at will state, unless you have a written contract your only recourse is to take your licks and get another job.
Laws vary, as MIKE said, check your state laws.
basilisk

On 7/26/2012 2:56 PM, sal wrote:

To tell you the truth, if your were fired for a reasonable reason, you screwed up, move on. If you were fired for an unreasonable reason you really don't want to be working for that guy/company anyway. You really don't want to force them to rehire you, life will be miserable.
Oddly when I was 20 I was fired by my store manager, that was fine with me, he was an a-hole. The following morning I was contacted by his boss and he convinced to come back to work for the company in another store, I did and my boss that fired me was then fired. About 1 year later I was managing my own company store.

In the 80's recession, the company I worked for was cutting back. The GM suggested I be fired. Instead, he was fired, as well as another guy and I was promoted. You just never know where the chips will fall.

Really? What about a death threat?
Dave wrote:

My state too. The "classic" definition of "assault" is "Serious threat to inflict serious bodily harm coupled with the present ability to carry out said threat." That is, you can't "assault" someone over the telephone.
In Texas, the definition of "assault" includes the infliction of bodily harm and/or the threat.

Hmmm. What if I call you on the phone, threaten to send you a bomb in the mail unless you send me money and you record the conversation? Sounds like an "assault" to me. Maybe it might be called something else, but I'd hope it's still punishable one way or another.
On 7/28/2012 2:04 PM, Dave wrote:

If you do that over the phone, it would be extortion. Assault requires a face to face confrontation, with an imminent, credible threat of physical force.
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:22:39 -0600, Just Wondering

Forget about the extortion part then. What if I don't like the way you looked at me and I call you on the phone threatening to send a letter bomb.
I believe that it's a chargeable offense, most anywhere in the US and Canada.
On 7/28/2012 6:50 PM, Dave wrote:

I believe that would fall under "terroristic threats" and would include a federal felony if acted (US MAIL)...

I believe it would be classified as "menacing" and would be a class B misdemeanor.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Dave wrote the following on 7/28/2012 3:02 PM (ET):

Menacing.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY