Real thickness plywood in Ottawa Canada?

Does anyone from Ottawa Canada, know where I could get 1/4 inch (not 5.2 mm or appx 13/64 in) oak veneer plywood (or particle core veneer)? Home Depot type shop and top wood supplier here (Wood Source) only sell closest 5.2mm ply.
I wouldn,t be too keen to order it from a distant source (delivery cost would likely be prohibitive).
Gil

I don't know your town, so I can't answer your question directly.
but.....
veneered mdf panels measure out closer to their nominal sizes than veneer core panels at the places I buy them. look in the phone book for hardwood distributors, perhaps cabinet shop suppliers. home despot is the wrong place to be looking.

Try The WoodSource (Adams & Kennedy), Manotick
As I said in my message, I tried Wood Source, they only have the 5.2mm. Gil
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:03:14 -0500, "Battleax"

Can you be flexible on the "oak" part of your request? The Baltic birch I bought from The WoodSource measures as close to 1/4" as I can see.
(I didn't think so.)
- Owen -

gilles wrote:

Why does it have to be exactly 1/4? I'll dare to second-guess that it is because you need to make it fit exactly in 1/4 grooves; if that's the case, you could get (from Lee Valley, at least, but I bet from any other supplier as well) Plywood router bits, which have the exact measurements of plywood panels (i.e., you'll find your 15/64 straight bit).
You probably knew all this, and I apologize if I'm insulting you with information that is trivia for you. But I thought it might be worth mentioning, just in case.
Cheers,
Carlos --
Thanks Carlos, I am not insulted at all. I know about those bits. I am doing a piece of furniture from a plan which calls for 1/4 ply, so I would like to see if it is possible to get it. I have seen it in the college where I took a course in cabinetmaking. I guess I should ask the college where it got it. .. I guess I am just stubborn. I WANT 1/4 in (jumping up and down). giL
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:59:09 -0500, Carlos Moreno

Here's a couple of sources in Ottawa. Try calling them up if you haven't dealt with them before.
http://members.rogers.com/wsguthrie/Eastern%20Ontario.htm
gilles wrote:

Hahaha... Ok, if you want it and you know it does exist, then no reason why you should settle for less than that :-)
Sorry I can't be of more help... I'm in Montreal, and the couple of Plywood panels I've bought from Robert Bury (which, BTW, I think they have offices in several other cities in Canada) of nominal thicknes 3/4 are not really 3/4 -- more like 47/64 or 23/32.
Never asked them if they have panels of true 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4, because the thickness wasn't really critical for me, but you might want to try them (assuming that they have offices in Ottawa, which I think may be the case). They do have a variety of good-quality Plywood.
Carlos --
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:34:22 -0500, Carlos Moreno

I always assumed that standard plywood was interchangeable with it's "listed" thickness.
For example, 3/4" simply meant the 23/32 stuff everyone sells.
Barry

Most 3/4" plywood these days (Canadian plywood) is actually in Metric in size. I've seen 17, 18, 19, 19.5 mm. 19mm or 19.5mm are the most common I believe. It's a pain mostly in the sense that additional router bits have to be purchased to accommodate it.

If you mean for dadoing, I dado with a saw. <G>
The dado gets shimmed to whatever plywood I'm using.
Barry
I have figured out it is easier to use my table saw to fine tune the slot. I cut the critical dimension first then just "sneak up" on the slot size moving the fence until a scrap of the plywood I am using is a good fit. You can use the router to eat out the material between the cuts.

Well... some years back I was building something (I don't recall what now) But it used 3/4 cabinet grade plywood. I had an old scrap I set the dado blade to cut the groves. Then went to my local supply place and bought a new sheet. The new sheet was the new 23/32, and I had cut all the dado's for rea 3/4. During the years between when I bought the piece the scrap came from, and when I bought the new stuff, they had changed the standard <sigh>
It's like trying to find real 2x4s, when you are remodeling a house old enough to have been built with 2x4s, rather then 1-1/2 by 3-1/2
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org