Real thickness plywood in Ottawa Canada?

Does anyone from Ottawa Canada, know where I could get 1/4 inch (not

5.2 mm or appx 13/64 in) oak veneer plywood (or particle core veneer)? Home Depot type shop and top wood supplier here (Wood Source) only sell closest 5.2mm ply.

I wouldn,t be too keen to order it from a distant source (delivery cost would likely be prohibitive).

Gil

Reply to
gilles

I don't know your town, so I can't answer your question directly.

but.....

veneered mdf panels measure out closer to their nominal sizes than veneer core panels at the places I buy them. look in the phone book for hardwood distributors, perhaps cabinet shop suppliers. home despot is the wrong place to be looking.

Reply to
bridger

Try The WoodSource (Adams & Kennedy), Manotick

Reply to
Battleax

As I said in my message, I tried Wood Source, they only have the

5.2mm. Gil
Reply to
gilles

Why does it have to be exactly 1/4? I'll dare to second-guess that it is because you need to make it fit exactly in 1/4 grooves; if that's the case, you could get (from Lee Valley, at least, but I bet from any other supplier as well) Plywood router bits, which have the exact measurements of plywood panels (i.e., you'll find your 15/64 straight bit).

You probably knew all this, and I apologize if I'm insulting you with information that is trivia for you. But I thought it might be worth mentioning, just in case.

Cheers,

Carlos

--

Reply to
Carlos Moreno

Reply to
gilles

Oops, missed that part. My only other suggestion would be Pilon Ltee. in Hull. They will order special but no guarantee what they call 1/4 won't be

5.2mm. I think true 1/4" will be hard to find.
Reply to
Battleax

Here's a couple of sources in Ottawa. Try calling them up if you haven't dealt with them before.

Upscale

Hahaha... Ok, if you want it and you know it does exist, then no reason why you should settle for less than that :-)

Sorry I can't be of more help... I'm in Montreal, and the couple of Plywood panels I've bought from Robert Bury (which, BTW, I think they have offices in several other cities in Canada) of nominal thicknes 3/4 are not really 3/4 -- more like 47/64 or 23/32.

Never asked them if they have panels of true 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4, because the thickness wasn't really critical for me, but you might want to try them (assuming that they have offices in Ottawa, which I think may be the case). They do have a variety of good-quality Plywood.

Carlos

--

Reply to
Carlos Moreno

Can you be flexible on the "oak" part of your request? The Baltic birch I bought from The WoodSource measures as close to 1/4" as I can see.

(I didn't think so.)

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

I always assumed that standard plywood was interchangeable with it's "listed" thickness.

For example, 3/4" simply meant the 23/32 stuff everyone sells.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Most 3/4" plywood these days (Canadian plywood) is actually in Metric in size. I've seen 17, 18, 19, 19.5 mm. 19mm or 19.5mm are the most common I believe. It's a pain mostly in the sense that additional router bits have to be purchased to accommodate it.

Reply to
Upscale

If you mean for dadoing, I dado with a saw.

The dado gets shimmed to whatever plywood I'm using.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I have figured out it is easier to use my table saw to fine tune the slot. I cut the critical dimension first then just "sneak up" on the slot size moving the fence until a scrap of the plywood I am using is a good fit. You can use the router to eat out the material between the cuts.

Reply to
Greg

Well... some years back I was building something (I don't recall what now) But it used 3/4 cabinet grade plywood. I had an old scrap I set the dado blade to cut the groves. Then went to my local supply place and bought a new sheet. The new sheet was the new 23/32, and I had cut all the dado's for rea

3/4. During the years between when I bought the piece the scrap came from, and when I bought the new stuff, they had changed the standard

It's like trying to find real 2x4s, when you are remodeling a house old enough to have been built with 2x4s, rather then 1-1/2 by 3-1/2

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg