Real small gloat

I've been working on Frances's new pantry-cabinet deal (floor to ceiling 25" x

36" wide), and decided to use some old cherry floating around to form edges for the melamine board for the pull out bottom shelf.

The board is 13' long x 5-3/4", x about 1-1/4" thick, but badly warped. I cut the longest straight part, 32" or so, out, face jointed it and almost went into shock. I then edge jointed it and planed the other side. This is the absolute prettiest piece of flame figured cherry I've ever seen. I'll have to try to cut short bits from the other pieces and get some more straight stuff. The shelf edging is now going to be some run-of-the-mill red oak.

Of course, I thought this was run-of-the-mill cherry. Someone had dumped it on the ground at a sawmill 3 miles up the road, I guess 5 years ago now. He gave me an entire pick-up load of cherry--most of it at least 8/4 (some 16/4 thick) thick x 8" wide--for $75.

Whoo, boy.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

You definitely suck ... just be careful that you don't suck Ivan up to that neck of the woods!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman responds:

Even worse, I just went out and did the rest of the board, longest piece 40", shortest 30". I managed to save it down to a fat 7/8", not as good as the first piece, but with similar figure. I'm happy. I was wondering why I was saving that twisted board. Now, I've got to come up with a use that is worthy of the figure.

I have so much planed cherry around (whoopee...maybe 10 BF) that I'd almost forgotten how light freshly machined stock is. There's one piece of sapwood, maybe 6" long tapering from nothing to 1" wide.

I think there's enough for a decent small jewelry box if I don't screw too much of it up.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I hate you.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Dearest Mr. Schmall:

Please note that the Moderator has removed the offensive content from this post.

As a Gosh fearing Rosacrucian, the Moderator will have no truck with this sort of abusive language.

(watson - who has always thought that a religion that advertised in the back of Mechanics Illustrated was fair game.)

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Bob Schmall responds:

Hey, the red oak is getting even with me. The first board I cleaned up had so many larger (up to 3/8") pin knots it is unusable. Board #2 has about 5 usable feet in 10.

Of course, that kind of stuff happens when you pay about 50 cents a BF for green wood. This stuff is READY though: I bought it the same day I bought the cherry, something like 4-5 years ago.

To make you feel even better, I think I had about $165 in 2 pick-up loads of oak and cherry.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hi Charlie,

My wife is bugging me to do something with our built-in pantry shelving. About 12 years ago, I put in some fixed particle board crap spaced about 18 inches apart (fixed).

It is a built in "closet" pantry about 36w x 24d in our kitchen.

I was thinking of doing some sort of adjustable shelf type thing out of melamine with an oak strip too.

Are all your shelves pull out or just the bottom? Why?

I was thinking of "U" shaped pull-out shelves.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

loutent asks:

The top shelves, above my wife's head, probably won't be pull out types, though I won't have to worry about that for a few weeks. All the shelves in the bottom section are going to be pull-outs for easy access. I made the blinking thing too deep--25"--for sensible access to the backs of the shelves, so the solution is to make the shelves easy to slip out.

Why U shaped?

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com:

Hey, Ed P. had a good post over on alt.food.barbecue on how to use that red oak ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I think you just saw my old #4 and raised me. I fold :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:57:38 -0400, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

Don't mess with the psychics, dude.

LJ, who thinks the new FEAR BUSH bumperstickers are great.

------------------------------------------------------- Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?" ----------------------------

Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Larry Jaques

As I mentioned, the pantry is built in - sort of like a small closet. Although it is about 36 inches wide, it has a 24 inch interior door (about 80" high) - some shelving is above the door opening.

Also, since I have about 6 inches of space on either side of the door which is behind the framing, I thought I could make use of this space by making U shaped shelves. I also had a thought of putting a light in the pantry ceiling.

Thanks for the input.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Then truck him.

Could become a one-word cautionary: fearbush (v) an imperative warning to rationalists.

Memo to self: do I really want to do this? Nah. Therefore, I retract that last facetious political remark.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:16:23 -0400, loutent calmly ranted:

Huh?

I like the pull-out tree idea. Single pullout, 6' tall, shelves on both sides. I just don't like the thought of paying $400-600 for one set of slides.

9301 pantry slides are half that price, or use standard heavy-duty extension slides for thin (single- can-depth) sliders on each side, in front of the side shelves.

Alternatively, use a baker's rack on casters which would fit inside your walk-in. Standard use items would be on it, while less frequently used items would on the u-shaped shelving behind it. Roll it out to access 'em.

Have Frances chart the frequency of usage of each shelf so the two of you can design the right system for your (her) particular use.

Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Larry Jaques

Reply to
nospambob