"real shop" tour

It always depresses me to watch Norm, David Marks or see web pics of somebody building their 24x40' dedicated shop with 14' ceilings and every machine imaginable. OTOH, I love to see real-world shops where DIY-ers like me do their work. Assuming I am not alone, I posted a tour of my shop:

else want to share theirs?

Chris

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

I work in a 11x12 room and a 4' board means that a tool or two has to be moved. I've got a 7' ceiling, and lights and ductwork hang from that. You're working in a freaking mansion compared to me!

snipped-for-privacy@shoreshore.net Only one shore to reply

Reply to
Scott Steeves

My first shop was about 10x12, IIRC, so I feel your pain. I had about

3 feet on each side of table saw. I don't know how I got anything done!

I hindsight, I wish I had spent more time on small projects...they would have been much more rewarding, under the circumstances.

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

Dear Chris,

Here is a pic of my messy little shop,

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

Not a bad little shop, and bigger than mine, for sure. What I'm curios about is that rip fence. Your own design? Am I right in thinking that that handle is a push stick that rides in the track on the side of it? That could be very handy, especially when resawing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Kreitler

Well I've posted this before but I don't mind showing off my shop again ;-) Here's mine

a shop tour link about halfway down the page.

I just wish it wasn't so darn hot in there. Right now it's in the low

90's during the day. My shop is so well insulated that it stays cool until about 3:00 or 4:00 pm then it just sort of gives up and starts to get really warm inside. But I have a day job so by the time I get home and it's cooling down to the 80's outside it's still in the 90's in the shop (because of all that insulation).

By next month it's going to reach the 100's here. That's going to make thing difficult.

Greg B

Reply to
Greg B

Reply to
Bob Bowles

like you've shortened one side...

I've been thinking about building it, as well - with modifications. I don't need out-feed support for my TS or a planer in/out support, but the other fuctions I would probably use - especially as a router and chop-saw station. Are there any "lessons learned" or changes you would make now that you have built and lived with yours?

TIA, Chris

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

LRod

So how does one go about becoming immortalized by having their shop on ShopToursDotOrg?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Actually, because that particular server doesn't automatically parse and add "www" to the URL, you have to use WWWDotShopToursDotOrg.

There are a number of ways. Post a shop tour on WoodcentralDotCom, or SawMillCreekDotOrg or email your text and graphics to me and I'll add them to the pile. I'm the (ir)responsible party for maintaining the site.

Feel free to use the entertaining style evidenced in your recent ebay auction; my editorial duties will primarily consist of making thumbnails from the pictures, correcting spelling (except "Unisaur," which I expect to see memorialized in your submission), and rearranging awkward syntax.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Yup - just finished it a few weeks ago...so far I love it. There are more pics and a diagram here:

Am I right in thinking that that handle is a push stick that rides in the

Close, it rides over the whole fence...which make it much easier to take on and off than if it rode in the t-track. That particular push-sled is specifically for ripping thin stock...which I've been doing a lot of, lately.

I'm not sure what I'll use the t-track for, but it seemed like a good idea at the time - maybe feather boards and a blade guard?

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

I thought I had conveyed my awareness of that adequately even in the lines of mine you quoted.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

How's your shop during the winter? In inland San Diego it will freeze at night for a few weeks in February. During those times I'd really like to keep the heat in.

The nice thing is that it looks like the relative humidity is staying at about 45% to 50% the whole time. Jest perfect for woodworking.

Greg

Reply to
Greg B