Reading a tape measure

Can anyone tell me what the diamonds on a tape are referenced to? They don't seem to coincide with stud placement or refer to any metric measurement. TIA Dominick
--
Dominick Fiumare Email: snipped-for-privacy@nmsu.edu
Facilities & Services Voice: 505-646-2529

A Google search will tell you considering this question has been asked here over and over and over and over...

Whats the point of having the newsgroup then? Haven't all topics been discussed at one time or another?
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.
"CW" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:06:01 GMT, Leslie Gossett

Only "tape trick" I know is not to switch them mid-project. Woodworking measurements are of the "cut the tenon to fit the mortise" variety, so absolute accuracy isn't as accurate as matching the mating piece . .
But there can be differences tape to tape that won't phase a house builder but will wreck havac on your woodworking.

Think of the newsgroup as a temporary stop on your way to google.
There ARE some folks on the Wreck who will answer questions, believe it or not! Sometimes they even answer MY newbie questions. They call me names, call me an idiot, but I just consider the source, and ask more questions.
dave
Manny Davis wrote:

Without the group, there would be nothing to find in Google.

he is one of the inhabitants of my twit list; now you have an inkling why. :)
dave