Reading a tape measure

Can anyone tell me what the diamonds on a tape are referenced to? They don't seem to coincide with stud placement or refer to any metric measurement. TIA Dominick

Reply to
Dominick Fiumara
19.2" centers. 4 spaces in 8'. Sometimes used with roof trusses.

Reply to
DanG

A Google search will tell you considering this question has been asked here over and over and over and over...

Reply to
CW

Whats the point of having the newsgroup then? Haven't all topics been discussed at one time or another?

Reply to
Leslie Gossett

Only "tape trick" I know is not to switch them mid-project. Woodworking measurements are of the "cut the tenon to fit the mortise" variety, so absolute accuracy isn't as accurate as matching the mating piece . .

But there can be differences tape to tape that won't phase a house builder but will wreck havac on your woodworking.

Reply to
Charles Krug

"Leslie Gossett" wrote in news:dZTrb.22125 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Think of the newsgroup as a temporary stop on your way to google.

Reply to
Manny Davis

Without the group, there would be nothing to find in Google.

Reply to
CW

he is one of the inhabitants of my twit list; now you have an inkling why. :)

dave

Leslie Gossett wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

There ARE some folks on the Wreck who will answer questions, believe it or not! Sometimes they even answer MY newbie questions. They call me names, call me an idiot, but I just consider the source, and ask more questions.

dave

Manny Davis wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave