Re: Yorkcraft 15" Planer - First Impressions

Mark, or anyone can you please comment Yorkcraft 8X72" jointer and also how is your Yorkcraft 15" planer so far?

Thanks

Refinanced the house and got a little chunk back from settlement. >What is a WW'er to do - off the the machinery shop!!! >I would've preferred the Delta, but Wilke Machinery in York offers a 15" >planer about $500 cheaper. I made the 70 mile trek to check it and a >jointer out. The unit(s) appeared to be well made although of Asian >decent (isn't everything?). They loaded the planer in two boxes and the >jointer also in two boxes onto my poor tired S10. It took a couple >minutes to squeeze 'em on. >Back home, a neighbor helped me unload and wench them off the ground >after assembly to pop some wheels on the bottom. >Assembly was easy and took a few hours for both units, but nothing out >of the ordinary. The instructions were adequate. Interesting thing - >the threads were US not metric. This made the wheels easy! >I've had to rearrange the shop a bit since these upgrades were >significant. I've had to rearrange the DC and electric. >Well, finally I get to run a board through. The closest thing was a >piece of rough cut white oak about 5/4" x 8". The scale was a little >cheezy, but I never rely on these. I keep a thickness gauge handy. >The first thing I noticed was that this puppy is significantly quieter >than a benchtop unit. No more ear muffs (at least out of necessity). >I tried the two available speeds without any real appreciable >difference. The unit moved very smoothly up and down the posts. It >took more effort going up - go figure. >The end result - after two swipes, the board was as smooth as teflon. >Don't ya love new blades? >Bottom line - $649 for a 15" planer - I'm happy so far. >One last thought...the unit came with tripple outfeed rollers that you >would find on the Delta. The website (and demo unit) had a smaller, >single roller affair. This was a pleasant surprise, although adjusting >them was the least easiest thing to do during assembly. > >I'll comment on the 8"x72" jointer after I run the same oak board >through it. I just got wiring run to it tonight. > >Mark
Reply to
WD