Re: WTB Powermatic planer IN/OUTFEED gear

Rebuilding an model 160 planer. As fate would have it is the same machine

> from my old high school. > Anyways, sometime during its life the gear that drives the infeed roller > must of come loose and spun on the shaft. > The shaft is salvageable but the gear has a crack at the setscrew and the > keyway slot is pretty rough. > > Anyone have or know where I might be able to buy a new gear ? Pretty sure > that the gears from the later 180`s and such are the same. > Surely Powermatic has `em but at the price of an arm and leg. > Thanks > Jsawduste

If you don't have the bucks to get one from powermatic,(recomended), I would take it to someone who has a post heating oven, and can weld the gear, then bake it. A machine shop could clean up the keyway.

Those are your only options, IMO.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Check with a good machine shop about cutting you a new gear. Anyway you go it probably wont be cheap. Good luck.

Reply to
Dovetailsnglue

It has been my experience that machine shops don't do well with making gears, reason being is that it takes a special machine to cut the right taper on the teeth.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans