Re: Workshops for RVs and Sailboats

Page 3 of 3

Than is good for both if both use it equally. My friend co-owned an airplane in the early to late mid 80's. His partner flew the plane much more than he did. Seemed my friend was spending a lot of money and not flying so much although he was going out for 3 or 4 hours weekly at a minimum. He ended up selling his half and purchasing another all by himself.
Leon wrote:

That can happen if the partership isn't set up well. My partner does fly about 60-80 hours a year more than I do, as he's 5 minutes from the airport, and he does 2-3 Connecticut to Texas trips each year. Part of our agreement includes him paying for the storage, as I drive farther.
We bill EVERYTHING hourly, so I don't care.
This includes an engine rebuild and major maintenance reserve, insurance, taxes, etc... Also, the longer the trip, the better the fuel mileage, as the airplane spends a lot more time fully leaned out at altitude. About the worst consumer of fuel per hour is touch and recurrent check rides.
We knew each other before the plane, and both of us have been in business partnerships. We sat down and pre-determined every possible way we could part ways, and set the resolutions to paper in a legal document. Lots of people don't want to do this, but it's really important. If you can't deal with bad endings up front, they'll be worse down the road. Our agreement covers everything from one of us destroying the aircraft, and dying in the process, to one of us not being able to make a payment, to divorce, to forced relocation.
My plane partner is also a partner in a very successful bicycle shop, and he owns a boat in a partnership with another guy.
The bottom line are the people involved and the willingness to get by all the possible negative outcomes up front.
Pete Keillor wrote:

Yes, and you can always afford to rent a better one than you can afford to "own".
In article

Personally I keep a limited amount of tools, but then my rig is "smaller" (25 ft). I know a (former) co-worker that full-times in a DP, pulling an enclosed cargo trailer. It contains both his toad (a micro-car) and all his bench-top tools, lathe, table-saw, etc. They also use the trailer as a patio
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

I have plans on the drawing board for something similar where I'll live in my truck camper and keep a pretty complete metalworking shop in my 24' enclosed trailer when I go into "hermit mode" on some property I own as global civilization implodes due to the economic tidy bowl swirl.
Pete C. wrote:

I built quite a bit of my first airplane that way... :)
    --IIRC J. Baldwin, from the old Zine Whole Earth Review, wrote a book on small shops; he had one in a van he used to travel around.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:56:35 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

You might want to take a look at Proxxon tools, also sold relabeled by Micro-Mart, and others of that ilk. If those are too small, you can do a lot of woodworking with a small scroll saw.
Other than that, you're probably going to have to use a lot of hand tools.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

For me the bottom line is simply this...
When we are out sailing, I'm a sailor - full time.
At anchor, if I need something to keep my hands busy I'll build a ship in a bottle.
Too_Many_Tools writes:

I admire anyone who can sail or work metal. If anyone is able to do both at the same time, then I am in awe.

I have both sail boats and machine tools....Im in awe of anyone who can find time to use both.
Gunner
"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

My 1945 South Bend 10L is a special shipboard model built for the Navy. The only thing special about it is that it has (or had) two motors -- one 110 Vac, single phase, and the other DC. You could flip the primary belt from one to the other to change motors. The DC motor was removed before I got it, possibly before it was sold surplus, so I never got to see it. The machine also has a base that's heavier than anything in the contemporaneous South Bend catalogs, but that may have been just a general military issue item rather than anything special for shipboard use.
Anyway, I could see running this thing on board a big carrier or battleship, but I wonder what it was like trying to get a uniform finish while aboard a destroyer in a rough sea. d8-)
Maybe TMT could make room for one of these...
-- Ed Huntress

The Workshop Book by Scott Landis has a chapter on small/portable shops. A few of RVs. Not sure about boats. And a story or two about people who have tiny shops at home and basically use hand tools. Or when traveling to jobs use hand tools.