Re: Workshops for RVs and Sailboats

Page 2 of 3
cavelamb wrote:

Yes, but I think a small lathe/mill combo for someone who builds miniature engines and the like is viable on a reasonable sized boat.

Yes, that was my other point, the Brownie's units are $$$. Since a hookah setup is pretty simple and you're dealing with shallow depths a homebrew unit isn't that difficult. Noise from the oil-less compressor isn't an issue when it's powered by a gas engine and you're 15' underwater working on patching the boat.
I'd suggest including a tether on the end of the hookah line if you're working out in open water so you can't easily get separated from the boat. Getting separated from the hookah at 15' isn't that big a deal (I presume you have a SCUBA cert?), but getting separated from the boat in the middle of nowhere certainly is.

You could always get a real HP SCUBA compressor, but those are $$$ as well. I actually just got one myself, but it's not exactly portable. It needs and overhaul and since it's currently 15hp electric drive I think I'll repower it with a surplus Kubota diesel to make it more convenient.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Pete C. wrote:

Anybody still aboard would go deaf quickly and painfully!

When I was a kid. Haven't seen it in 40 years tho.
The tether is a given. We use them on deck too.
If you would like a good sailing adventure read, pick up Hank Searls "Overboard" form way back in the mid '70s.
Even the best tether won't help if you unclip it!

In my wildest dreams I can't imagine getting something like that up and down the companionway hatch!
I wish there were a way to add a compressor to the genset. It is water cooled, and very quiet, but it's pretty much a sealed up unit.
Add pictures here
โœ–
cavelamb wrote:

The noise you are thinking of is not a function of an oil-less compressor, it is a function of cheap, small high speed oil-less compressors. An oil lubed compressor isn't quiet either when turned at those speeds. Either way, with it powered by a gas engine, most noise will be from the engine. At any rate a $5 pair of shooting muffs will take care of the problem.

Guess you also have to tether a scooter to you, or perhaps a waterproof remote control for the boat...

No, it it goes on a boat it will be going on a relatively large boat.

What brand / model? Link?
Add pictures here
โœ–

Fischer Pandaฎ 4.0-kW
http://www.fischerpanda.com/marine/ac_4200.htm
Will get you a brochure and engineering drawings
http://www.fischerpanda.com/Manuals/Panda%204200%20FCB%20Operation%20Manual.pdf
As you can see, it might be possible to add another pulley to the front end, but there just isn't much room around the pack in the boat.
It's mounted in the starboard quarter under the cockpit seat. To starboard it the hull, and to port is the aft cabin side wall.
Add pictures here
โœ–
cavelamb wrote:

Nice little unit. If you have about a foot of clearance in the front, which it seems you would since that's where the connections are, I think you could pull it off. small offset and an electric clutch on the compressor. Need to of course plumb in the fresh air intake from topside too.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Pete C. wrote:

Maybe - I'll take a peek first chance I get. I haven't had the cover off of it. It would need to have a now cover made for it to include any additions. and it has to come out through the cockpit seat hatch. That's the only way in or out. It would be real nice to have compressed air available.
BTW, what is the minimum pressure required for a single hose SCUBA regulator. I seem to recall that a minimum pressure was required.
Add pictures here
โœ–
cavelamb wrote:

I think you could just make the compressor mounting plate replace a section of the cover in front so with a cutout the existing cover could drop in place. The pic on their custom generator page looks like it has a hydraulic pump hanging off the front outside the sound enclosure. I'd think the same type of setup with the mounting plate having the compressor on the outside and the electric clutch pulley on the inside.

140 PSI is the normal pressure feeding the second stage for normal diving. You can get away with less if you aren't going very deep. One of the little 5 or 10 gal portable air tanks would make a good receiver that you could fit wherever it's convenient. With an oil-less compressor, low pressure and fresh air intake from a good location you won't need anything exotic for filtering, just the basics.
Add pictures here
โœ–

In all seriousness, do you think you would have room for a metal working or wood shop on an RV? You already should have a mechanical shop on board to keep the RV running and repaired.
RV's, Airplanes and Boats, You are happy the day you buy them and the day you sell them.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 07:49:17 -0600, "Leon"

Early in his career, my cousin heard this from a thrice divorced surgeon at a medical meeting.
The 3F Rule: If it flies, floats, or f***s, rent it.
Pete Keillor
Add pictures here
โœ–

My parents purchased 2 RV's. The happiest day in my life was when they got rid of the last one. Repairs and maintenance is a constant regardless of how much you use them. I did all the work and that cured me from ever wanting to own an RV. A good friend that was very mechanically inclined requested my advise on buying an RV. I simply replied, they are constant work. He bought an RV and sold it 3 years later and commented that he was happy to get rid of it, he should not have purchased one.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

What kind of RV? I have had a large and well equipped truck camper for a few years and I still love it. Of course it has a lot less issues than a camper / RV with running gear will have.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Full blown dedicated RV's, Full standing up room through out the living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and laundry and cab area.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

FYI, a truck camper is a full blown dedicated RV, but due to the lack of running gear it has a lot less maintenance issues. My truck camper has a bathroom with shower, kitchen with stove / oven, microwave, double basin sink, A/C, furnace, refrigerator, etc. All it lacks is standup headroom in the bed area.
Add pictures here
โœ–

When I think truck camper, I think the shell that sets on top of the bed rails that is no taller than the cab top and simply lets you lay down protected from the elements in the bed of the truck. I am familiar with what you have, I guess when I commented full blown RV I really should have said "dedicated" RV and or Motor Home.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

That'd be a "Canopy" or "Cap".

Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:39:53 -0700, Doug Winterburn

Or "shell" as commonly used in the western states.

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Add pictures here
โœ–

In Texas as well as other places they are known as campers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/M1000-Pick-Up-BLACK-camper-roof-Rack-Kayak-and-Bike_W0QQitemZ220297710030QQcategoryZ63895QQcmdZViewItem
Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

I usually hear those referred to as "truck cap" or "camper shell".

I particularly like the truck camper as it is as capable as the truck you put it on i.e. 4x4, lets you tow whatever else you need and you can still offload it at a campsite to use the truck separately. Of course, not having any running gear makes maint. simpler, and when you wear out a truck, you just get a new one. With a crew cab pickup and a camper with extended cab-over you get plenty of bed space too. On my 3500 dually, I can carry the camper and tow my 10,000# cargo trailer with ease.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Don't know about sailboat workshops, but might not be much call for such. As to RV's there are a couple of full time RVers that have a shop in a trailer. Set up a toy hauler trailer as a shop and if small enough shop and small Toad car could fit inside also.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Leon wrote:

I'm still plenty happy as an aircraft owner. I have a fantastic partner, so everything except fuel is 1/2 price! ;^)
With the _right_ folks, items like boats, airplanes, cabins, etc... can make lots more sense with more than one owner.
When I speadsheet compare all of my partnership ownership expenses over the last four years, with HONEST rental expenses, I'm still happy. Many renters fly either woefully underinsured, or without insurance at all. You really have to include an fairly valued renter's insurance policy in a cost comparison. Many people fail to do this.
I would have paid a tiny bit less as a renter, within a few bucks an hour, but some of my hourly costs build equity, and I have fantastic access to a very clean, safe, and available aircraft. I see it as a good value. Without the partner, it wouldn't have been close.
It's worked out so well, we purchased our second aircraft together last month.
Add pictures here
โœ–