Re: WoodWorks on DIY

I enjoy the show as well and sent a comment as such.
If they hear from fans like you, it will help us

Favorable remarks sent.
On 7 Aug 2003 08:17:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@financialpacific.com (Jim) wrote:

If they hear from fans like you, it will help us

Got this reply:
Hello. Thank you for contacting DIY--Do It Yourself Network. There are no plans to cancel this program. Wood Works currently airs on DIY on Mondays at 8:30 pm & 11:30 pm, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7:30 am, Saturdays at 9:00 pm, 9:30 pm, 12:00 am & 12:30 am and Sundays at 9:30 am & 1:30 pm (ET).
Sincerely, DIY Viewer Services
I sent him a note requesting a video from him on Chemical Patinations and received an answer the next day. Then after I bought the video from him I asked who he found to be a good supplier of Gilding Materials and again received an answer the next day. I think if you are doing business with him, he will be a little more inclined to reply than if you are just wanting free information from him about something he is selling the complete plans for on his website. :-)
Michael
If they hear from fans like you, it will help

Conan the Librarian wrote:

You're close, but not quite right .. .. ..
1) TRUE .. .. he didn't respond to an e-mail requesting ONE detail of a jig .. .. NOT A FULL SET OF PLANS .. .. .. nor were said plans even available from him or his website 14 months ago when I made the request.
2) TRUE .. ..His son finally (14 months later) respond to the e-mail by asking me to support the continuation of the TV show .. .. AND, BY THE WAY, plans for some of his most requested jigs are available for sale on the website. No response for 14 months UNTIL HE has a need for some help .. .. .. now, suddenly it's urgent that he get back to me
3) TRUE .. .. I don't care if his show lives or dies .. .. .. if it's there, I'll watch it, at least occasionally .. .. .. if it goes away, I won't lose sleep over it .. .. .. DIY cut Norm a while back .. .. .. missed him a bit, but nothing earth shattering .. .. .. if they cut Marks .. .. same feelings .. .. .. no big deal.
I guess you were correct .. .. . that DOES pretty well sum it up .. .. .. to each his own .. .. .. write all the letters you want to DIY .. .. .. if they keep him, fine .. if they don't, fine .. .. .. don't see anything worth getting in a big flap over. I'm just stating an opinion, as is everyone else who participates in this thread. If you disagree, fine, but I refuse to get involved in a flame war just because I don't happen to think the guy has THAT MUCH appeal. He's good .. .. .. he's VERY good .. .. .. hell, he's an artist with wood as his medium .. .. .. he just doesn't appeal that much to me. His cheesy tactic of holding my e-mail (unresponded to) for 14 months and then using it as a ruse to get me to "VOTE" for him just doesn't set well with me !! !! !!

BY-THE-WAY .. .. .. THIS IS the same guy who actually does solicit questions .. .. .. several times during most every show we hear .. "If you have ANY questions regarding today's show, please post them at our website where full descriptions will be available .. .. .. "

I say to each his own, but yes it is kinda sleazy hanging onto an email address for commercial purposes without even bothering to reply to the original message...
just my $0.02 -Bruce
er stuff every five minutes, when you do get there almost everything is pay per view. The channels business model obviously includes some significant revenues from the website, driven by the shows.
Ok is that so bad? Well yes if you a/ make the dumb mistake of using your email address (doh) and get spammed daily, b/ find the plans (eg the Bruce Johnson work bench) are a fee item but to all intents and purposes are identical in dimension and design to a couple of free plans given by WWorkers on the net.
Marks stuff is worth watching because its a level beyond what I'd ever likely be able to do, but he's caught in the same scripted program model as the rest of them, Its the channel that smells not necessarily the individual show. That said I'm surprised he's using farmed addresses for spam...