RE: Wine Barrels

Huell Howser had a very interesting program on the local PBS station about company in Northern California that recyces old white oak wine barrels into other products.

Some might find it interesting.

Lew Hodgett

sure about wine) be aged in NEW oaken barrels. In France (for example), they can reuse the barrels.

I've had some French wine that was evidently aged in barrels that formerly contained olives. Or squash.

Reply to
HeyBub

US wine is aged in old whiskey barrels.

The US wine barrels have about a 6-8 year life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Being from near wine country and having a bit of an affinity for such (ie Sonoma Products Company);I have looked at using barrel wood and have seen lots of stuff done with it. It is just too inconsistent for me so far but I'll probably do something with it eventually.

Most wine makers use new French White Oak barrels but this is by no means an absolute. American Oak and used barrels are also employed. They are quite particular about how much toast (the buring of the barrel to carmalize it) and excatly which barrel, how many reuses, how long in each type, etc. Regardless, they all eventually wear out so there is lots of used barrels available.

A store that has > Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Used american bourbon casks also find their way across to Scotland, in flat-pack form, where they are reassembled and used for scotch.

However, Glen Moray whiskey is aged in white wine barrels, which, the distillers claim, gives it a flavour* more suited to non whiskey lovers.

Stuart

*Yeh, I know, the "experts" like to use more exotic terminology
Reply to
Stuart