Re: Which Chainsaw

Can't comment on Olea. Here in Canada, it's Stihl or Husqvarna in the bush. Everything else is a child's toy IMO. It depends what your going to do with it and how much you will be using it. If you're just cutting firewood a few times a year then you could probably save some money and go with a little smaller engine. If you're using it for bigger tasks or using it everyday, then I would say minimum 50cc engines. The Husky 350 will take a 13 inch to 20 inch bar. Remember that the longer the bar, the more horsepower you need to move the chain around it. So only go with the longest bar you need. Try to get your dealer to throw in a face shield/ear protection helmet. There are no short cuts to safety, especially with a chainsaw. "Keep your stick on the ice" Tony Ontario Canada

I'm a stihl guy myself. Chainsaw, weedeater. Starts like clockwork every time. SH

You can not beat a Stihl. The best in the west.

Husqvarna 350 or

18" bars, but

(Aussie fun tickets)

buy!
<snip>

Actually, they were brought in over 100 years ago, with the thought that the fast growing wood could be used for railroad ties. Too bad they brought the blue gum variety. Totally unsuitable for that purpose.
Patriarch, who has tried to split a euc log or three, without much joy...
I wrote:

First it was planted in the gold mining regions by Australian miners. They thought it could compensate for California's lack of hardwood trees. The several varieties of blue gums were the cheapest to produce in the nurseries. When the Central Pacific Railroad got into the act in 1877, they bought these blue gum seedlings and the story continues from there. They never developed into the high grade lumber trees of the virgin forests of Australia.
The ones I am more familiar with are the ones around Oakland and the Bay Area that were brought in more recently in the early 1900's after droughts killed many other ornamental trees.
There were also some in Alabama and Mississippi that were brought in many years ago for medicinal purposes. I have seed pods from some of them.

Thanks for adding/updating/correcting the details. And I'll spend more time with your horticultural pages. There's a wealth of information there.
Patriarch
Go to the local chainsaw repair shop, see what he sells.
I have a Stihl 20" and an 15 year old Homelite 16" converted to a 14". The Homelite still get the lion's share of work.
Dave
I have the Husqy - no complaints. You'll be happy with it. Mark

the
The Hinchliffes wrote in

I can't speak for the Husky 350 but I have a 372XP and love it. It will pull up to a 32" bar easily. The 350 ought to handle a 20" with ease. There is a reason pro loggers use Husky saws. They are one toguh, reliable saw.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods