Re: where find a 1800 rpm or less bench grinder ?

Bought mine at Grizzly, don't remember the price but I think it was under 200. It has extended shafts to accomodate a buffing system I use.
Works great on jewelry boxes, etc.

--
http//:www.sugarbearswoodworks.com

On 14 Sep 2003 10:57:37 -0700, jack snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jack) pixelated:

Grab an old washer or dryer motor and hook up a mandrel to it. Figure and purchase the proper size pulley for the RPM you want. $40, tops.
In case you're wanting a versatile tool which will grind, sharpen, and sand items of wood, plastic, and metal, look at the 1" belt sanders. I won't go back to a grinder now that I've seen how quickly it works, how cool the edge is after contact, etc.
- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Garrett Wade sells a super slow grinder at a super high price.
As always, proper technique with a 3450 grinder will still be better than the reverse.
So get a cheaper 8" grinder, and a quick lesson from someone if you need it (made a huge difference with me).
Lots of 8+ inch bench grinders are 1750 RPM. All the 10" models are. Baldor especially makes several smaller ones in 1750 versions.
GTO(John)
Kevin Craig wrote:

Use a smaller wheel?
Well, if you are handy and have some time, get a double ended arbor from Gillom, Grainger, etc, and drive it with a 2/1 or 3/1 reduction from a washing machine motor. You'll have to rig up tool rests and buy wheels and arbor. I think you can get an arbor for $20-25. You can scrounge a lot of pulleys if you look around. Obviously a working grinder for $50-75 is a better deal!
If you want to be REALLY cheap, get an old double ended washer or dryer motor, mount an arbor adapter on one end and drive the other end from a second washer/dryer motor, with the same reduction.. Admittedly, this solution is pretty far fetched, but it might be fun if you have lots of room. Wilson

Replaced a toolrest with the Veritas jobbie on one side of mine, anyway.

and
of
On 14 Sep 2003 10:57:37 -0700, jack snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jack) wrote:

Woodworker's Warehouse had them for about $59 on sale. That was about 2 years back.
Barry Lennox
Garrett-Wade has one that pokes along at about 1150 RPM. Has anyone used that?
It's a good bit pricier than the 1800 RPM ones when they are on sale, but not ridiculous.
Kirby
Barry Lennox wrote:

--
James T. Kirby