Re: Where does one buy wood in W. PA?

Well, it's in E. OH, but not too far and well worth the trip:

Can anyone recommend a good source for wood products in the Pittsburgh/ W. >PA area. Perhaps >one that is open after normal business hours and is open on Saturday. The >BORG sucks. I went to >2 HD's and a Lowes last night in order to find and buy clear pine, a sheet >of 1/4" and 1/2" birch ply. > >Quality=low, Price=high > >Any help would be greatly appreciated. > >WoodChuck >
Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure if there just weren't any woodworkers in my area or if I was getting the TROLL treatment.

That location is not too bad if I am buying everything for a project. Not so good if I need a few quick items. I will call them to see what they stock.

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

I assume that the companies you spoke of will sell in small quantities to individuals, not just to other companies?

WoodChuck

Reply to
WoodChuck

I've also been to Baird Brothers. I agree with the first reply -- they are a god bet.

And if you don't mind making the trip just a bit longer, you could go to Jim Doll's lumber. They are located on Ohio rt 534, between Rt 5 and US 422. Note that Doll's deals ONLY in harwoods. There is no plywood or other products -- just some of the finest kiln dried (and some air dried) pieces I've seen under one roof.

But have you asked around in the Pgh area? Seems that all of those Laurel Highlands should have dozens of hardwood kilns, and dealers galore.

Reply to
YesMaam27577

Well, there are the pricy places for good specialty hardwood such as Woodcraft in Robinson (out by the airport)or Woodcrafters Supply in Ross (Rt. 19 just north of Perrysville). Then there is HOP lumber in Wexford, Allegheny Millwork & Lumber (412-431-4224), George Hall in Homestead (I think they have a place in Carnegie too), Sutherland Hardwoods in Burgettstown.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Reply to