Re: What's up with Channel Lock drills?

Page 1 of 2

Check out Cooper Industries.
In recent years they have turned into a holding company scooping up lots of tool companies with good brand identification.
Pretty sure they bought up the Vice-Grip product line for example.
Lew

Irwin bought American Tool; CooperTool did not.
Irwin is owned by the same company that makes Sharpie pens.

Excellent. Thanks, Frank.
Robert

Harbor Freight.

That would be my interest. Fer the Indians. When I leave to go to another job, that would be the one I would want to leave in their hands, not a $250 DeWalt.
Robert

Precisely.

How did you prepare the brisket?

I like your thinking... Spend the money on good food rather than bad tools!
It may be Tuna and Ramen for a month while you're saving up for that Worksharp 3000, though. :-)
Puckdropper

Kinda depends on how long the wife has been nagging about dull kitchen knives...
mac
Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Don't know about Robert's recipe but I use Claude's ( http://tinyurl.com/55dz4j ) marinade and Knorr French onion soup mix. Place enough heavy duty foil in a 9 x 11 pan to completely cover and "seal" the brisket. Add your brisket (I shave off most of the fat but you'll get a little better flavor by placing the "fat" side up) Dissolve the Knorr's in 3/4 to 1 cup of water and add 3 - 4 tablespoons of marinade. Pour over the brisket. close the foil tightly (I did say "enough foil" didn't I?) with a couple folds at the top. Oven at 375 for 3 - 4 hours. This is for a brisket about 3 - 4 pounds. If you covered the brisket adequately, the pan will not even get dirty. <G> Slice the brisket *across* the grain. pretty good stuff.
Max

Actually....
the briskets looked like crap. They were 12 -14 pound packers, and they were misshapen and not at all proportionate for a good smoke. This was a disappointment for Sam's, as they just don't do me wrong on the briskets. To add insult to injury, they were $1.39 a pound, and they should be heading down a bit this time of year.
So I bought a beautiful 22# chuck roll, cut off some chili meat, a couple of "almost rib eyes" from the rear, and smoked the rest over hardwood charcoal and red oak. I leave them on for a long time and prefer a smoky tasting meat, so I just lightly seasoned with a homemade rub.
20 hours later - done!. They made up for the shortcomings on brisket by selling me an excellent chuck roll. Excellent bark, extremely juicy, with great texture and taste. You could cut it with a fork with little effort needed, if any. Actually one of my better efforts with chuck as on long smokes I mainly cook brisket with an occasional pork shoulder.
A little homemade barbecue sauce on the side for the lady of the house, and we were in beef heaven Sunday night!
Odd when putting the drill in question in perspective with the chuck roll. The drill was $49; the chuck roll was $44. I don't know how long the drill would last if purchased.
But the chuck roll is a very good bargain because both myself and the mistress of the house can both eat about 10 - 12 meals EACH (so about 20+ individual meals) from that big hunk of cow.
I am not so sure I didn't come out better on the chuck roll rather than the drill. The only problem is if one of my subs or employees want to borrow a drill, I can't lend them the chuck roll for the day....
Robert

A few tricks I have learned over the years when smoking brisket. I smoke using a Texas Pitt's and Spit's pit. The meat directly over the heat and water tank for 1 hour, then it goes into an aluminum foil pan and covered with aluminum foil for the remainder of the cook. I cook at 225 degrees and cook 45 minutes per pound. This used to take quite a long time before discovering a trick. I can usually turn out a juicy 12-15 lb brisket that melts in your mouth in about 4 or 5 hours. The trick is to take the brisket and cut it in half or thirds before cooking. Cut it in half and it cuts the cook time in half, cut in thirds and it cooks in one third the time. I use Texas Pitt's and Spits BBQ rub and let it set over night before cooking.
http://www.pittsandspitts.com/index.asp They'll ship their spices to you.

Oh, and uh, they are the Festool of Smokers and Grills. I bought mine 15 years ago at about 1/3 today's going price.

LMAO!!
They really could be the Festool of the pits! I always liked the fact that they were able to combine stainless with thick plate to stand up to the weather. Good looking pieces of equipment, too. FWIW, I have heard back and forth on the quality of the P&S pits here over the last few years since they were purchased. Before I never heard anything but good.
For all kinds of reasons, I don't get to Houston nearly like I used to. On my list of things to do when I get that chance it to go see the Klose pit manufacturing. Their pits aren't cheap, but they are made right there in sunny Houson with no foreign parts except the thermometers.
They last so long and are used so much they offer a rehab service if your pit needs a tune up after many years of hard use!
Hope you guys are getting the weather we are in SA. Gorgeous, just gorgeous.
Robert

I'll have to check'em out, I don't recall having ever heard of them.

3 years ago I sent mine in for a tune up and had it repainted. A heat delector weld broke in the fire box. I need to replace the expanded metal charcoal grate but will make my own. ;~)

Its bordering on cold but we have clear sky's. If only the wind would die down.

"Leon" wrote

Yeah, in mid April, in Texas already... surely due to big Al and Ted T slashing their combined personal carbon footprint, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

Hey - you too can do your part:
http://www.freecarbonoffsets.com /

THANKS!!!! Doug, I just printed mine out.... What a bargain.. My certificate says that I have one billion quadrillion carbon credits.
"Leon" wrote

Isn't that the same as a "Brazilian"? ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Yabbut, how many "Festool" credits is that equal to?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08