Re: What's a gloat?

You guys who are paying near-retail price for lumber, or even a buck a board

> foot, don't know the meaning. > > > > Gloat is when you spend ten grand on a scruffy old Woodmizer mill, 4wd > tractor and a few new chains for the saw, go out in the woods, and manage > over the course of a year to cut over 20,000 board feet of timbers and > boards, about 2/3 pine and the rest ash and cherry and sticker it all in the > yard. Realize that you love doing it so much that you'd rather run the mill > than spend the time in the shop, so your time costs nothing to you. The > best part is so you can build a house and shop using your own trees on your > own land and save a pile of $$$. At last count, able to put

probably forty

thousand dollars back into appliances, tile and fixtures for what would have > been a pretty bland and uninspired house. > > > > Gloat is also realizing that your friends and colleagues know you have a > mill, and will gladly give you trees and logs because they need to get rid > of them. That's why you still have several thousand board feet of white oak > and sugar maple in the yard needing to be cut, and why there's a 32" > diameter cherry tree that scales out at over 1500 board feet sitting in the > woods in the next town over, and all you have to do is go get it. Or why, > because of the generosity of a friend, you can make all the counters in your > kitchen out of 8/4 beech instead of formica. What's the price of all this? > Needing to do the work yourself, working harder that you've ever worked > before, because it's all worth it in the end. > > > > The best gloat of all is having a house full of kids who want to spend time > with their Dad in the shop, making 'stuff', and a wife who

appreciates the

effort and encourages my so-called 'hobby'. > > > > JonE >

And here I thought Gloat was a "Loud Goat" what was I thinking?

Reply to
dteckie