Re: What is it? XLIX

No, unfortunately I can't find one quite like that and I must admit that I'm only speaking from what I've heard others call them. Lathe dogs generally have a tab that is either bent to go into a slot on a faceplate or straight to be driven by a bolt mounted on the faceplate. I've always heard the kind with a fork like the one pictured called grinder or grinding dogs but I don't know why. I can find examples of grinding dogs with 2 forks on them but I must plead ignorance on the differences.

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a circular saw. Here's a modern version:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Yup, I was just going to Eastwood myself to get the link. I have a couple of those Beuglers for pinstriping.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Thanks for the link and the other info.

Reply to
R.H.

All correct.

Reply to
R.H.

That would be great, I would like to see it.

Reply to
R.H.

I agree with you on that.

275 is a hand-held flinger for clay pigeons (skeet). Can't remember what the proper name is... Trap?

276 is a camera aperture.

277 is a t-nut

269 is a propeller, end on.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

These are all correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct, except on this old camera part the shutter is in front of the iris.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

Kinda small, but I suppose you could always call 'em and ask for a bigger picture.

Reply to
B.B.

I have the model type - a professional hand holder - less ink - but in a box the size of a check replacements box - and another one full of various heads.

I planned to pinstripe a model I am doing but got interrupted by excessive work at work....

The heads seem to be the same or like that on the auto one - massive ink supply.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

that is the one I have - nice movie and general site.

I'll use it in book binding and other little tasks.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Iris, not shutter. It's adjustable to control the aperture, not open & shut to control exposure. An iris like this can't be fully closed, for one thing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh how I wish the researchers at work would realise that and stop wrecking them on the furnaces....

Reply to
Badger

There's also one on one of the lathes where I work. But in the pic #275, the points didn't look like wheels to me, and it doesn't fasten down.

The background is all dark, because the shop is shut down for the night.

But you can see the source of my confusion! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was a kid, there was a series of books either by Time-Life or Bell Labs/Disney or something, with all kinds of interesting scientific stuff. In the volume on numbers, there's a cartoon of a guy trying to do long division in Roman numerals. ISTR that after filling up a whole page (like filling up a whole blackboard in a comic strip) the guy gives up. :-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

I said "complete shutter *assembly*". That is shutter blades, timing mechanism *and* iris diaphragm.

The iris is only part of it. Did you bother to look at his latest set of images of that one item from many views? It has the provisions for setting several (quite slow) shutter speeds.

The shutter happens to be open, so what was initially photographed and presented in the puzzle was only the iris diaphragm, but he has the whole shutter assembly there -- except for the lens elements which screw in behind and in front of the iris and shutter.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Yep! What you photographed is a steady rest, not a lathe dog. It is intended to have telescoping arms extend out of the three arms shown at 120 degree intervals. The knobs on the end of the arms extend the inner ones to contact the workpiece and support it on center as it rotates.

The lathe dog shown in the puzzle clamps onto the workpiece with the square-headed screw, and a pin from the faceplate fits between the two legs to rotate the workpiece with the spindle while it is supported between centers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sorry, no I hadn't - I'd only seen the original close-up.

Nice to see a shutter with the original pneumatic remote release.

Reply to
Andy Dingley