Re: What is it? XLIX

Page 2 of 3

Close but not correct.

Not sure here...

Possibly, not sure about this one either.

Correct.

Correct.
Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

Here is some background on this item, as stated in the email from the owner:
"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He was a tinkerer extraordinaire.
Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a Zippo, but not used that way here).
The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that would go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.
This fits nicely into the hand, with thumb and finger resting in the opposing depressions."

These three are correct, aperture for 276.

No, unfortunately I can't find one quite like that and I must admit that I'm only speaking from what I've heard others call them. Lathe dogs generally have a tab that is either bent to go into a slot on a faceplate or straight to be driven by a bolt mounted on the faceplate. I've always heard the kind with a fork like the one pictured called grinder or grinding dogs but I don't know why. I can find examples of grinding dogs with 2 forks on them but I must plead ignorance on the differences.

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a circular saw. Here's a modern version:
<http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID 16&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCatP3&iSubCatS6&iProductID16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keywordugler>
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

<snip>

Yup, I was just going to Eastwood myself to get the link. I have a couple of those Beuglers for pinstriping.
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

site.
I'll use it in book binding and other little tasks.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

ype=PRODUCT&iMainCatP3&iSubCatS6&iProductID16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&k eywordugler>
Thanks for the link and the other info.
Keith Marshall wrote:

<http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID 16&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCatP3&iSubCatS6&iProductID16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keywordugler>
the size of a check replacements box - and another one full of various heads.
I planned to pinstripe a model I am doing but got interrupted by excessive work at work....
The heads seem to be the same or like that on the auto one - massive ink supply.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

http://tinyurl.com/6jjf8 Kinda small, but I suppose you could always call 'em and ask for a bigger picture.
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /

These two from last week are correct.

This one isn't a sprayer.

Thanks, I'll have to do some research on this.

You might be right, it is just part of a camera, I'll post a photo of the whole piece in a day or two.
272. Some kind of clamp, but I don't know what for.
273. Lathe dog.
274. Pinstripe painter. Fill the bottle with paint, invert it, and roll paint on with the wheel. If not for paint, then some other liquid, maybe adhesive.
275. Thing for throwing clay pigeons when shooting skeet. (Save the poor, defenseless skeets! ;-)
276. Camera iris.
277. Tee-nut for wood or particle board.
Now, I'll go read the other answers on rec.crafts.metalworking...
-Ron

All correct.

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.
What we're looking at here is the iris.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

Correct, except on this old camera part the shutter is in front of the iris.

I agree with you on that.
275 is a hand-held flinger for clay pigeons (skeet). Can't remember what the proper name is... Trap?
276 is a camera aperture.
277 is a t-nut
269 is a propeller, end on.

These are all correct.

Correct
On 18 Feb 2005 23:00:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Iris, not shutter. It's adjustable to control the aperture, not open & shut to control exposure. An iris like this can't be fully closed, for one thing.
Andy Dingley wrote:

wrecking them on the furnaces....