Re: What is it? XL

Page 2 of 2

AFAIK, DOS and Windows use 0-32 for control (although they display (have graphics associated) if you print them properly), for instance ALT+007 is BEL (system beep if sent to CON (which is keyboard input and monitor output)), and in text mode, a large dot/bullet. Hmm, looks like Terminal font (comes with Windows) prints most of them properly. Everything above 127 is just extended characters, for making text windows for instance. Accented letters. Some Greek bits. Well heck, here's the charset I grew up with:
... - Whoa, that was truely random, it BSOD'd when I opened the FTP client. Good thing I saved this first. Hrm, but why did I save it? Maybe it wasn't so random . . . *strokes chin* Anyways.
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/ASCII.gif
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Thanks, Martin, DoN, & Tim, for the info.
R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

ISO-8859-1 (ISO Latin 1) would be appropriate for this case; to do it right you'd have to include a charset header (I don't recall the exact format) in your post as well.
Matthew Russotto wrote:

Thanks, Matthew.
FWIW, Agent under my current settings, is placing this in my headers: "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii"
I'll probably continue to restrict the characters in my posts to (7-bit) ASCII.
R, Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Mechanical pencil. Umm...of DOOM! There, sounds better now.
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /

Correct

These aren't gear teeth, it's actually three separate objects next to each other.

This one isn't a pencil, nor rope/twine.

Nope.

What's with the grooves? I haven't seen them in modern cartridges, though Minies had them. Were these for black-powder revolvers?

    They (in cast bullets) are to carry lube into the bore, so you don't get as much lead fouling.
    Not too common in jacketed revolver bullets (which is what I usually shoot), though some rifle bullets have a groove for the case mouth crimp, so the bullet is not either driven deeper or partially pulled by recoil in the weapon -- or even worse, by the stack of bullets in a tubular magazine. (There, you *really* want a blunt nose, so it does not set of the primer of the next cartridge above it in the magazine. :-)
    Out of curiosity -- since this is so heavily cross-posted, why don't we put an indicator as to which newsgroup we are posting from? I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, FWIW.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 19 Dec 2004 16:50:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

RCM as well
Gunner
"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner

    Agent has that option, Options>posting preferences>Introductions, and put %newsgroups% in the appropriate line. As in "%from% wrote on %date% in %newsgroup% :"     It helps me to keep track of where I was reading and responding to what.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Grooves in cast lead bullets are for the addition of a lubricant in those grooves to help keep bore fouling to a minimum.
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:20:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:20:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

All lead bullets have some area in which to store lubricant. These grooves are designed to be filled with a lubricant mixture , usually beeswax and Alox in varying proportions etc
Some of the latest bullets use a knurled surface and are impregnated with various lubricants. Federal made a line of nylon coated lead bullets which Im inordinatly found of for self defense loads. Very soft Keith style blunt nosed hollowpoints of good weight that may be fired rather fast from short barreled belly guns. The Nyclad..which unfortunately..Federal seems to have discontinued..damit. Im down to 4 boxes for the short guns.