Re: What is it? XCVIII

Page 3 of 4

As seen on the answer page, the word automatic is on the wall bracket that holds it, so maybe that's a reference to the low melting alloy.
Rob

detonated
Interesting idea, I'll have to see if I can find a close-up of the weights that they use for those.
Rob

I couldn't find a model number on it, just the company name and location, nor could I find any similar looking ones on the web or in my tool books.
Rob

Yes, I think that it's some type of rammer/tamper, probably for sand but I included it because I couldn't find another one like it to confirm its use.
Rob

I was wondering why three of the pockets have four small air holes on the back while the other two do not.

I think you may be right about it being attached to a leather strap, or possibly a rope as someone else mentioned, the metal is partly smooth on the inside from wear. Or it could have clamped on to a piece of metal on a scale. Someone from a weight and scale collector web site said that it was an ice weight, but I couldn't find anything about it to confirm this, nor would he elaborate when asked.

I'm leaning toward tripod leg on this one too, but for what I don't know.

Tomorrow I'll post a closer shot of the jaws.

Also tomorrow I'll measure this one, I don't have it with me here.
Rob

    I think that those are intended (two at a time) to match hooks in the end of the other half of the ammo belt, to adjust it to the wearer. That end would thread through the rectangular guide on the right-hand end (your back view), and plug into a pair of holes to set the length. Are there reinforcing rings in those holes?

    Interesting.
    Part of my reason for suspecting this is the angled foot, which would be level when the legs of a tripod were properly spread.

    O.K. Thanks.

    O.K. Thanks again.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

The holes along the top and bottom of the ammo belt are larger and have reinforcing rings, the smaller holes aren't reinforced.

the
was
nor
Here is a photo showing the wear on the upper piece of this weight, the slot is wider at the opening and tapers a bit narrower so the wear is more prominent about 1/4" from the edge.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%203/pic244d.jpg

A closer shot of the jaws:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%203/pic186c.jpg
One possibility for this tool is that it could be a miter clamp, as seen in this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%203/pic186d.jpg
--

I'll measure that other tool later today.

Rob

    Yes -- those larger holes are to prevent tear-out of the loaded pockets. the others don't really *need* reenforcing rings, though they *might* have had some. In any case -- the holes are to allow joining to the other half of the ammo belt, and to adjust for the wearer's size (and for the number of layers of warm clothing he may be wearing as well. :-)

    That looks like an intentional smoothing, not wear -- and it is for a strap, not a rope (though the strap *could* be canvas instead of leather). If it were wear from a rope, it would form two grooves on either side of the screw which secures the two halves together.
Or it could have clamped on to a piece of metal on a

    Yes -- I think that this is not wear, but intentional grinding to allow some flexing of the strap enclosed.

    O.K. Not a punch, based on those shots.

    That looks like a proper function for it. And the pivoting of the separate piece would allow it to deal with two pieces of wood of different width.

    O.K.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

It's not tapered, though it does look like it is in the photo.

Just measured this tool, it's 15/16" square, you're probably right about it being a gauge, I couldn't find any similar ones to verify it, so I included it in the unsolved set.
Rob

    O.K. How precisely is it 15/16"? Do you have a micrometer to measure it precisely? I would expect it to be pretty precise, as it looks to be surface ground to dimension.
Are there any markings on it other than the end markings?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:11:45 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

DoN; is there anny possibility that it's a machinist's "masterpiece" (in the original sense--the piece produced to prove that he'd mastered some aspect of his training?) Do machinist apprentices still have to do such things?
Barb
Barbara Bailey wrote:

It seems possible, I suppose, but it also seems remarkably simple for such a thing. In the simplistic shop class I took in college, our "masterpieces" had gear teeth and threads and suchlike on them, and I'd imagine a real machinist would have something at least as complex.
(They were really more for giving us experience with the various tools than for illustrating mastery, though.)
- Brooks

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:44:16 -0800, Brooks Moses

The reason I asked is that my husband has mentioned that when he was apprenticing at a machinist's, he had to make a 1" cube to some incredibly fine tolerence before he was allowed to move on to the next step. So, not a final masterpiece really, but a 'proof of competence in this aspect' piece?

    [ ... ]

    As others have answered -- I don't think so. That is designed for use, not show, and the turned section is intended as a handle to get it to where it would be used.

    IIRC, (though I have never been an apprentice), the cube had to be made by filing to fit a square hole -- and it had to be a precise fit though it in all orientations. I forget whether the apprentice's master would supply the square hole, or whether the apprentice had to make that as well.
    This item looks to have been made slightly oversized, stamped on the end to mark it, hardened, and surface ground to final dimensions.
    Is your husband still with us? If so, perhaps you could ask his opinion on the matter.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:10:03 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

He is, but he has no clue on the mysterious whatzit. He didn't make it much past the 1" cube test--he's got poison hands, and this was long before latex gloves were readily available. Ah, well, it was a thought...

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Aha! A "ruster". That is an awkward condition for a machinist.

    There is also a special soap -- used by the Swiss watchmakers -- to neutralize the hands. It is probably too expensive for general machining work. Easier to give him a different job.

    Thanks for the suggestions         DoN.

I was planning to use the micrometer at work today but it wasn't available, I should be able to use it in a day or two. There are no markings on it other than on the visible end. One more thing about it that I don't think that I mentioned before, it's made from a single piece of metal.
Rob

Turns out that it's not real close to 15/16" (.9375), I used two different micrometers, the digital one read .924 and the mechanical one .917. So it's closer to 59/64, which is .921875, I'm guessing that it's still most likely a gauge for checking some work.
Rob

    Did you check whether the dimensions were the same side to side as top to bottom? I would expect them to be so, so it would not matter which way you installed it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

different
it's
likely
Yes it was same on both sides and top to bottom, so it could be used in either orientation.
Rob