Re: What is it? XCVIII

Page 1 of 4

R.H. wrote:

My one piece of insight to share on #471 is that if you look at the red numbers, they are different by 4 or 5 from the adjacent red numbers. With the exception of 9 and 0 (which are either 1 or 9 apart, depending on how you look at it.)
My gut feeling is that this dial is for remapping the 0-9 digits such that adjacent digits do not come out near each other in the remap, maybe something like a grey code. The 20-tooth cog and the microswitch-style rider look like something out of a phone pulse-switching system, although what kind of stepper switch they might control I still do not fathom.
Tim.
"563 Old carbon tet fire extinguisher
564 Saw set
565 Ice crusher?
566 ?
567 Ammo pouches---M1 carbine? Garand?
568 leather skiving tool?
566. A "Beauty and the Beast" edition of a candle holder ?
246. Tool box ? jewelry box ?
447. some tool to place or remove horse shoes ?
212. a square peg for matching square holes ?
244. it looks like a rope could be put around in the gap around the screw, and screwing the bottom part would hold the rope in place. better yet, an identical object like this one would have its loop fit in the gap. It could make a strange chain.
543: Seems like long ago an old timer pointed to one of those and said it was a fencing tool. You looped the wire on one of the teeth and levered it against whatever was handy to tighten the wire, and you hammered staples with the hammerhead. How you held the wire tight while you removed the puller and switched to the hammerhead is unclear.
447: I did get pictures of that last fall. Well, I *took* some pictures. They didn't come out so good. I thought there was enough light but there wasn't. I've been working on some of them and if you want I can post the one or two that actually have something to see on ABPW later this evening. I believe there's one where you can clearly see this part as one piece of a one-man bucksaw. I haven't talked about it because I'm embarassed about saying I was going to take photos and then coming back with mostly pictures of a black cat eating licorice in a cave at midnight.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's not what I know as a "fencing tool", but it certainly looks like it could be used for that.
The problem of tightening the wire and hammering in the staple at the same time was one that happened with the fencing tool I know of, too. What I remember doing was hammering the staple most of the way down over the wire, and then pulling the wire tight and letting the staple do most of the work of holding it there while I did the rest of the holding with a gloved hand. Also, if you pull the wire tight in such a way that it ends up wrapped partway around the fencepost, the friction against the fencepost will help hold it tight.
Of course, I was about 12 at the time, so probably what happened more often than not is that my father pulled the wire tight, and I used an ordinary hammer to drive in the staple. :)
In any case, the hammerhead on a fencing tool of any sort is primarily there for making occasionally repairs when you don't want to carry more tools around; for actually building a fence, it makes a lot more sense to use a proper hammer for the hammering.
- Brooks

Sounds reasonable, though this tool doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to hold with a bare hand.

Yes, please post them, I just did a google search on bucksaws and didn't see anything like #447, so I'd be interested to see your photos.
Thanks, Rob

That was my exact thought too. But there's that hammerhead right there, and if one assumes it's used the way one would normally use a hammer, then there's either a part missing that would cover up all those teeth, or people just put up with a lot of discomfort back then.
Or maybe both. :-)

Done. The subject is "One-man bucksaw - 3 attachments" but it looks like I'm not a very good usenet user either. One of the attachments didn't make it. Don't know why, I treated just like the others with PaintShop Pro to resize it, but two of them made it and one of them came through as gibberish text. Maybe I ought to send them just one at a time.
If you want the third one I'll repost it but I think you can get the idea from the two that made it. Let me know if you want me to try again.
Dan

Where did you post them? I scanned the three groups that this thread is in but didn't see a post with your subject line, maybe I just missed it.
Rob

    A growing number of news servers reject articles with binary attachments in non-binary newsgroups. The solution is to put the image on a web site (the dropbox, if you don't have one of your own), and just post the URL for it to the newsgroup.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Ack. Sorry Rob. ABPW is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
If you can't get to that one, we'll have to work something out. As far as I know, Google doesn't carry any of the binary groups so if that's all you can use, we'll have to work on it.
Dan

Thanks, looks like you nailed this one, it appears to be the same piece of hardware, if you don't mind I'll post one of the photos on my site.
Rob

Oh sure. I'm pretty sure just posting them to abpw puts them in the public domain :-) but you have my permission to use either of them as you like.
Dan
Dan wrote:

Nope, it most definitely doesn't put them in the public domain! People tend to act like it does sometimes, but that's only the "they won't find out so they won't sue me" sort of public domain. :)
(Well, sometimes it's more the "they probably don't mind, so they won't sue me" sort of public domain, as in this case, I suppose.)
- Brooks

    Well ... if the photos are your *own* work, and you post them to an alt.binaries newsgroup with no restrictive notices, that is pretty much equivalent to putting them in the public domain.
    However -- if you *don't* own the rights, that is a different matter. It is copyright infringement in aid of more copyright infringement. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Dan:

Brooks Moses:

Don Nichols:

No, sorry, Brooks has it right. If you want to put something in the public domain, you have to do it explicitly, as below.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible"
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net | -- Lord Kelvin

Wrong. You automatically own copyright to any original work you produce unless you explicitly put that work into th epublic domain.
--
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof.
And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Former Canadian
Dave Balderstone wrote:

True but proving it is yours is a little difficult. One way is to slightly crop any photo that is sent out. Only you will have the uncropped part that fits. Also, your case will be supported if you warn others that the photo is copyrighted. You do that by putting a copyright mark (c in a circle) then the year and your name.
All of which is useless, because as an individual you will not likely have the money to pursue a court case and obtain money damages.

FALSE TO FACT. 'once upon a time', (in the U.S.) it was true that if you 'published' something *without* a copyright claim attached, that the item was then in the public domain. Since the U.S adopted the "Berne Convention", and modified it's copyright laws accordingly (in the 1980's), this is no longer the case.
Copyright protection attaches *automatically*, with no need to ever include any notice of such. If you don't _know_ the item is in the public domain -- i.e. you have a disclaimer from the author to that effect -- you are well-advised to proceed on the basis that there *is* copyright on the work involved.

I swear by all Woodworking Gods, I will never, ever, post another article on this newsgroup which contains the words "copyright" or "public domain".
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:22:46 +0000, Dan wrote:

I see all three pictures on my server, although the first one is a little underexposed.
Cheers! Rich