Re: What is it? XCVII

Page 1 of 2

557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines the levelness of the foot. 561. Ground anchor for guy wires. 562. Maybe a pedometer?

1
would
Your description is similar to that of a game show called "Liar's Club", except that in "Liar's Club" three of four celebrities provided incorrect answers. Also, it wasn't produced a LONG time ago. It was produced in 1969, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1988. The host in 1969 was Rod Serling. Other hosts were Bill Armstrong (1976-1977), Allen Ludden (1977-1978), and Eric Boardman (1988-1989).
Carl G.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:22:03 GMT, "Carl G."

Try this URL...
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9348/liars_club.htm
Thats it - was a good show. I only remember the original, and 1969 was a long time ago - at least in terms of how I look today v the 60s :-)
Thanks for the help.
Susan

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:22:03 +0000, Carl G. wrote:

To these kids, that's a _very_ long time ago. Some of them weren't even born yet then!
[Uh-oh - was that the sound of my bones creaking? ;-) ]
Cheers! Rich

"Liar's Club" As I recall, Larry Hovis was one of the regulars on the panel and was quite good at coming up with plausible (but false) identifications.
"557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines the levelness of the foot. " The shape of it made me think it was a farrier's tool but I couldn't figure out what it did.
Sure seems like 558 is also a farrier's tool, for digging stuff out of the hoof, prepping it for the new shoe.
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

That's most definitely not an ice auger, or at least it's not even close to any ice auger I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a number of them.
A search for "ice auger" in Google Images will show you what an ice auger looks like... the main feature being 'threads' that go most of the way up the shaft.

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw06258&utm_id=3
Could there be a distinction between an ice auger which drills a hole, and an ice anchor auger, which provides an anchor in the ice?
The Jeff R entity posted thusly:

I suppose there could be, though a Google Images search doesn't show anything like that for "ice anchor".
I'll have to see if I can find my earth anchors in the barn. I haven't used them for a long time, and I'm not sure if they are single or double flute. Nor do I know if it makes a difference in what they are called.

I've got two in my hand that I just grabbed out of our camping gear. One's single blade, with the blade forming one single full twist; the other is a double blade, with each blade forming about a 4/7th twist.
Barb

I wouldn't think an ice anchor auger would be able to screw itself into ice. They would just use an ice auger to drill out the hole, put in the anchor, fill the hole with water and let it refreeze.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:16:15 +1100, Jeff R wrote:

Definitely. To provide an anchor in the ice, you lay a chain on the ice, and pour a few gallons of boiling water over it, and wait for the ice to refreeze.
I'ts a _sand_ anchor - they use them a dozen at a time to tie down mobile homes on sandy dirt in tornado alley. :-)
I guess it could be used for guy wires, but they're usually poured concrete - this unit is either for a temporary installation or used on mobile homes because they're cheap. (i.e., you can afford to buy a dozen of them. ;-) )
Cheers! Rich

P8BEghkEKJdN-87sRi4lIn_AyD94dcP&gkw06258&utm_id=3
I agree that it doesn't look like a modern ice auger, but this tool appears to be quite old and I figured that they were made much simpler years ago. Have you seen many of them as old as this one?
It looks like it could be used for either purpose, but I'm leaning towards ice auger mostly because of the angle of the blades, the fact that there are two of them, and it seems to me that it would would work well for shaving ice.
I haven't been able to find any other tools yet that look like this one, but I'll do a little more research this weekend.
Rob
The shaft doesn't appear robust enough to transmit the torque required for an ice auger. I'm inclined to agree with the earth auger hypothesis.
Art

    [ ... ]

    And the ring at the top does not look either strong enough, or shaped properly to allow use as an anchor. It is too sharp-edged to not cut through the rope attached to it.
    I believe that shape is correct for a wooden T-handle fitted through it to allow two people to march around the hole which is being drilled.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:41:46 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Yes, the wooden handle is used to screw it into the ground, and then a clevis bolt goes through the hole and secures a large (say, 3" or 8 cm wide) steel strap that goes over the top of the mobile home and attaches to the anchor on the other side with a similar clevis bolt. I'll email my brother, who still lives in a trailer, and see if he can get a pic of one.
Cheers! Rich
Wood Butcher wrote:

It's an earth auger ANCHOR...
http://images.google.com/images?q rth+auger+anchor
Slip a rod into the hole, crank it into the ground, remove the rod and anchor something down to it... like a tent.
Joe Barta

    Look at the eyes on the ones which your link leads to, and compare it to the one on the puzzle photo. That puzzle photo one is *only* designed to accept a wooden rod as a T-handle, not to serve as a tie-down eye.
    I still say post-hole digger.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I see what you mean, but I disagree.
I think if it were a post hole digger it would likely NOT have a removable handle and the handle-neck juncture would probably be a little beefier to hold up to years of use.
Our mystery auger seems to be made somewhat cheaply... which is exactly what you'd expect with something that will see limited use and will need to be bought in quantity.
I still think it's an earth auger anchor... we'll have to agree to disagree.
Joe Barta