Re: What is it? LXXVII

Page 3 of 3

Not to mention the balls are most likely made of cast iron, only further negating the shrinkage (though sudden changes could maybe leave the monkey colder than the balls for a few hours).
Tim
-- Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Lloyd Sponenburgh:

Mark Brader:

Lloyd Sponenburgh:

Go on, then. Prove it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

Means about the same as "freezing the nuts off a tractor" when you live up north :)

Far as I know, all the explanations for this have been shot down. Brass monkey being used to hold iron canonballs among them.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Well, actually, brass monkeys were used to hold balls on deck, but for presentation and inspection, not for "ready shot".
I'll agree with the rantings of one poster who cited the relative expansion coefficients of brass and iron, that it doesn't look like contraction alone could do it.
(I don't contend this is right, but) The common anecdote has the trivets forged. What if they were cast in one piece? What about possible embrittlement of cast brass at low temperatures? If a cast brass trivet were heavily secured at its apexes (apices?) to a deck that tends to rack and twist somewhat (as all wooden ships do), and the temperature dropped to, say, -20F, what might happen to the mechanical integrity of the brass? Would it crack?
LLoyd

No.
Come on..."cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is a figure of speech, not an engineering report. And I bet the original reference, now lost in pre-history, was to a brass statue of a monkey.
Joe Gwinn Joe Gwinn

Still an open question: How do the upper ends of the needles/rods look like? Is there a hole or whatever?

And also please note: If you pull up the lever on the right, the thing will _open_. So if you want to lift something up, you would have to press it down. Not the most clever way, nor not? So this device is not for lifting anything. IMHO, if you want. :-)
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

I'll email the owner and ask him.

Good point, I'm starting to like the release mechanism idea more.
Rob

Sounds like a good possibility, someone posted a similar idea on my site:
"This is quite possibly a release mechanism for a drop door on an old farm dump wagon. The T like casting would be fastened to the side. The handle is offset to allow clearance for your hand when operating."
I'll have to do a some research on this.
Rob

What confuses me the most about that thing is: Where can you lift it. OK, there is the "release-lever", but not very solid. Between the two gears, there is some flat, that might have broken. But if this is where some kind of handle has been, it should point outwards not inwards. Or has this device been taken appart and back together wrong?
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Nick Mller wrote:

You see what I saw...I gave it up as the images are too indistinct for my eyesight to really discern the mechanism clearly enough to decide what was what...
If one had it in ones' hands, all would probably come clear...then you could tell if something's broke and quite probably if it is incorrectly assembled.