Re: What is it? LXX

This week's set has just been posted:

400. Solar panel with rifle reflected in it

401. Chalk holder

402. Soil hygrometer

403. Concrete edger

404. Tatooing instrument

405. Tack puller

Reply to
Matthew Russotto
405 is a valve spring keeper lock insertion tool
Reply to
Peter DiVergilio

Reading in rec.crafts.metalworking.

400. closeup of a photovoltaic (solar) cell

401. ice skate sharpener - run the blade along the cylindrical abrasive, and it leaves sharp edges on the blade. The "ears" on the clip part serve as a guide.

402. tachometer. The shaft is badly corroded. When the point is held against the axis of spinning object, the shaft turns, which turns the wheel. Run it for a certain time, or until a certain number is reached, and the RPMs can be calculated.

403. not sure - looks like it's for making parallel grooves in something.

404. not sure, but it looks like a big, nasty version of a comb used for removing knotted fur on a long-hair cat or dog

405. The notched end is magnetic. It holds nails so you can start them without pounding your thumb.

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

unsolved

There is one thing that is a bit confusing: The handle. If it would be something like a hammer, the disk at the end would not be very pleasing to one's hand. Furthermore, it seems that the handle is gripped at the upper end, judging from the (more) polished look.

Stonemasons do have a hammer that resembles this one a bit. It is called Charrier-iron (from the french) and is used for roughening a surface.

Any useful hints, beside "yes" or "no"? :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Correct, it's a stone dressing tool, called a Crandall, though I'm not sure why it has the unusual handle.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Maybe a (wood?) handle fits around the metal shaft and is missing in this example.

Reply to
Mike Dworetsky

This makes sense. Sometimes the easy answers are the hardest to find.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Domestic cars generally have the lighter socket always live. Japanese cars generally have it live only in ACC or ON. I don't know why this is.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Probably an American car feature. I bought my first American vehicle two years ago, it has non-switched lighter sockets. For the prior 20 odd years, I owned only European and Japanese vehicles, they all had/have switched lighter sockets. I don't recall if my parents' American cars had switched lighters - I know some didn't have lighter sockets at all.

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

I wondered that myself and thought switched lighter sockets are probably a European feature. Heck, radios used to be non switched too.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

What do you mean "used to be ", my car radio can be turned on without a key in the ignition, it's a Ford Focus. Push the volume control and the radio plays for 1 hour.

--- snip --- | I wondered that myself and thought switched | lighter sockets are probably a European feature. | Heck, radios used to be non switched too.

Reply to
Mungo Bulge

Must be one of Ford's better ideas! The timer in the radio probably increased the cost of the radio by $50.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon