Re: What is it? LXX

400. Solar panel with rifle reflected in it
401. Chalk holder
402. Soil hygrometer
403. Concrete edger
404. Tatooing instrument
405. Tack puller
result in a fully-depreciated one.
405 is a valve spring keeper lock insertion tool
Reading in rec.crafts.metalworking.
400. closeup of a photovoltaic (solar) cell
401. ice skate sharpener - run the blade along the cylindrical abrasive, and it leaves sharp edges on the blade. The "ears" on the clip part serve as a guide.
402. tachometer. The shaft is badly corroded. When the point is held against the axis of spinning object, the shaft turns, which turns the wheel. Run it for a certain time, or until a certain number is reached, and the RPMs can be calculated.
403. not sure - looks like it's for making parallel grooves in something.
404. not sure, but it looks like a big, nasty version of a comb used for removing knotted fur on a long-hair cat or dog
405. The notched end is magnetic. It holds nails so you can start them without pounding your thumb.
--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

There is one thing that is a bit confusing: The handle. If it would be something like a hammer, the disk at the end would not be very pleasing to one's hand. Furthermore, it seems that the handle is gripped at the upper end, judging from the (more) polished look.
Stonemasons do have a hammer that resembles this one a bit. It is called Charrier-iron (from the french) and is used for roughening a surface.
Any useful hints, beside "yes" or "no"? :-)
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Correct, it's a stone dressing tool, called a Crandall, though I'm not sure why it has the unusual handle.
Rob

Maybe a (wood?) handle fits around the metal shaft and is missing in this example.
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

This makes sense. Sometimes the easy answers are the hardest to find.
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Domestic cars generally have the lighter socket always live. Japanese cars generally have it live only in ACC or ON. I don't know why this is.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Probably an American car feature. I bought my first American vehicle two years ago, it has non-switched lighter sockets. For the prior 20 odd years, I owned only European and Japanese vehicles, they all had/have switched lighter sockets. I don't recall if my parents' American cars had switched lighters - I know some didn't have lighter sockets at all.
--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,
Ron DeBlock wrote:

I wondered that myself and thought switched lighter sockets are probably a European feature. Heck, radios used to be non switched too.
What do you mean "used to be ", my car radio can be turned on without a key in the ignition, it's a Ford Focus. Push the volume control and the radio plays for 1 hour.
| Ron DeBlock wrote: | > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote: | > --- snip --- | I wondered that myself and thought switched | lighter sockets are probably a European feature. | Heck, radios used to be non switched too.
Mungo Bulge wrote:

the radio probably increased the cost of the radio by $50.