Re: What is it? LIX

snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote: >

>>336) Hydrometer -- for determining the specific gravity of a liquid. >> >> Perhaps for acid mix in lead-acid battery fluid, since the >> specific gravity range is entirely above 1.00. Alcohol proof >> hydrometers would read below 1.00, I believe. > >Actually no... for beer and wine they read above 1.00 as well. > >You measure the 'wort' before fermenting and then as you bottle it. The >difference. which relates to the amount of sugar converted to alcohol, gives the >alcohol content. You generally bottle at just above 1.000, or just below for >some wines.

And since this hydrometer starts at 1.1 (IIRC), it would not work for the wines, at least.

The difference between the SG of alcohol and water, combined with the fact that >after fermenting there are still some high-density solids in solution, makes >direct alcohol content reading for beer and wine using a hydrometer impossible. > >Distilled spirits might be another story.

And distilled spirits are what are commonly rated in "proof", which is what I referred to.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I still think it looks like a saccarometer. The range is right, although most are scaled in "potential alcohol" as well as specific gravity.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not at all... it is labelled from 1.04 to 1.00, and you could easily use it down to 0.99, ie it would work for every kind of beer or wine.

Ah but you were using the 'not for proof alcohol' argument to argue in favour of it being a lead-acid battery hydrometer, which is what I was disagreeing with.

In fact a healthy discharged lead-acid battery has an SG of 1.12, and charged it should be 1.265, so this particular hydrometer would bob around like a cork on the ocean in any liquid that came out of a battery.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

An OG of 1040 wouldn't do for several beers I've fond of. Which I suspect means it wouldn't do for a lot of un-fermented wine worts either.

Reply to
Nick Atty