Re: What is it? LIX

    And since this hydrometer starts at 1.1 (IIRC), it would not work for the wines, at least.

    And distilled spirits are what are commonly rated in "proof", which is what I referred to.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I still think it looks like a saccarometer. The range is right, although most are scaled in "potential alcohol" as well as specific gravity.
LLoyd
snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Not at all... it is labelled from 1.04 to 1.00, and you could easily use it down to 0.99, ie it would work for every kind of beer or wine.

Ah but you were using the 'not for proof alcohol' argument to argue in favour of it being a lead-acid battery hydrometer, which is what I was disagreeing with.
In fact a healthy discharged lead-acid battery has an SG of 1.12, and charged it should be 1.265, so this particular hydrometer would bob around like a cork on the ocean in any liquid that came out of a battery.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

An OG of 1040 wouldn't do for several beers I've fond of. Which I suspect means it wouldn't do for a lot of un-fermented wine worts either.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)