Re: What is it? CXVIII

689 Some type of aircraft control panel. I'm guessing for a helicopter.

I initially thought that too, but there aren't suit controls on a helo. More likely a high-altitude MACH+ jet (X-1? U-2? SR71?)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

nope. A spacecraft. give-aways (from switch labels): 3-axis autopilot -- "roll", "pitch", "yaw". RCS -- that's the maneuvering thrusters then, at the bottom of the console are 'suit flow' thingies. *TWO* of them.

So, we've got a two-man spacecraft, with labelling in English. There are precisely _two_ vehicles that fit in that classification -- A Gemini capsule, and a LEM. My money says Gemini. Especially, since I found a picture of the LEM interior (), and _that_ doesn't match.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, look on the bright side . . at least I was in the right church, just didn't sit in the proper pew.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Possible spoiler?

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps

ps

---------------------------------------------------------------------- space news from Sep 20, 1993 AW&ST [presumably, "Aviation Week & Space Technology"]

Henry Spencer summaries

Letter from Karl Henize of JSC, commenting on an AW&ST report of Neil Armstrong's Gemini glove still being in orbit and still being tracked. Wrong in three ways. First, the lost glove happened on Gemini 4, while Armstrong flew on Gemini 8. Second, such a relatively large and light object, in the fairly low orbit the Geminis used, would have reentered within a year. And third, the Gemini 4 glove was never tracked well enough to appear in the tracking catalog. ...

'tcha just LOVE Google? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Big, BIG Bambu! %-}

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Well, I knew it was no USAF fighter or bomber aircraft - all of their panels are flat black. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

That isn't what I was looking for, there was something extra on them, something common but not normally found on gloves.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm impressed. My first thought was LEM because of the "radar" switch; but I didn't have the persistence to investigate further.

Mark & Juanita

Frat house sized spliff.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

How about the "famous" Gemini excrement glove?

Reply to
Bill B

LOL, not exactly sure what that means but I'm positive it's not what I had in mind. The gloves were designed and made with something functional added to them, to be used by Armstrong in some of his work.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

"R.H." wrote in news:nDLig.56769$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

It must be the safety pin his mother used to pin them to his spacesuit so he wouldn't lose them.

Gary

Reply to
GLM

Well, I've already given it my best shot - how long are you going to keep us in suspenders?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Whoa, that's the biggest joint I've ever seen!" "Aah, it's not real, it's just full of a bunch of my old socks and stuff." "Well, let's try it anyway - ya never know!"