Re: What is it? CIII

Page 1 of 2

Ha! I wondered what the lightning bolts engraved at the end of it were. Should have tipped me off really. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk
593 - Water or gas shut off tool.
594 - nibbler tool (used to cut thin plastic or THIN sheet metal, or my favorite use which is to make square sided holes in panels for switches)
595 - Flint type igniter for a torch set. Pull the trigger and it sends a bunch of sparks out the front.
596 - Looks like a beaker paddle.
597 - Carbide hand light
598 - Small part of the face of a playing card.
--
Steve Williams

I have to disagree with the consensus so far on item 594. If it were a sheet metal nibbler it would cut 3 sides to punch out a chunk. This thing appears to only cut 2 sides and would simply fold the piece over and not punch it out. Unless there is a missing die piece to the tool. The backside also looks like a hole punch. If it were an alignment pin I think it would be engaged in the hole for the full travel of the moving head. That said, I have no idea what it's for.
Art
He cheated a little, and showed the device not fully assembled.
I have used one of these, they work quite nicely when the screw's not loose!
-Dave
You're right. I have on like this http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4351283P3603242-Klein-Tools/K04-76011B-Klein-Tools-Sheet-Metal-Nibbler-WAS-28.32.aspx
Item 594 is shown here http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=NIBBLER
Art

Thanks for mentioning the screw, that's how it was when I got it at the flea market. As mentioned on the answer page, I didn't realize the end plate was stuck on the cutter, but after hammering it off, this tool is back in it's original shape. It works a whole lot better now that it's been repaired.;^)
Sorry about the misleading photos in the OP.
Rob
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

595 - Flint igniter 597 - Carbide lamp 598 - Face card    1: Jack of Diamonds         2: King of Diamonds
Loop3: Ball bearing (used) Loop4: Punks for lighting fireworks
That's all I know ( or think I know). The crimper thingy sure looks familiar, though
594 - Valve handle 595 - Flint sparker for lighting a gas torch or burner 596 - Sheet metal nibbler 597 - Carbide lamp 598 - Playing card 599 loop1 - climbing cam loop2 - A shedding comb loop3 - Cannon ball loop4 - Punk stick for lighting fireworks - or possibly incense loop5 - An "EXIT" sign loop6 - I think it's a clamp for retaining a spring. Maybe for auto suspension? loop7 - Textured handle? Non-slip flooring?
Maybe, but from the scaling I'd gues it to be pretty large. 4" maybe? I'd say something more like a cannon ball.
"R.H." writes:

Oh, it's supposed to be *animated*! No wonder it didn't make sense. You have to *tell* people if you want them to turn on things like animation and Javascript, you know. In fact, why require it?
--
Mark Brader | "This is just the result of someone sitting down before
Toronto | a computer and carefully removing his head first.

photo
it
Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript. Now I'm wondering how many people do this and if I should continue with it or just go with non-moving photos, the only reason that I used it was to try something different.
Rob

how
Keep it simple for those that don't have every new-fangled bell and whistle installed on their pc. Personally I hate these intrusive moving images that Javascript and Flash player impose on me when I go into websites. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk

Personally, I'm on an old, slow machine and a very slow dial-up connection, so moving images often either take forever to load or hang the page completely.
Barb
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:36:58 +0000, Dave Baker wrote:

I didn't even know it was Javascript. I thought it was done quite tastefully, but I assumed it was something like an animated .gif.
Cheers! Rich

I use firefox, and have it set up disable Javascript by default. Too many sites have attacks that use Javascript, and I hate pop-ups. Anyhow - a box appears that tells me Javascript is requested. If I feel confident, I enable it either temporarily or permanently.
But to answer your question -
http://www.webaim.org/discussion/mail_message.php?idD50 says 4 to 13% have disabled javascript
says says 11% - but I can't duplicate his search to get the latest numbers.
R.H. wrote:

I do (turn off javascript). I have an extension for firefox (NoScript) that lets me selectively turn it on for a given host, domain, etc... even on a temporary basis.
I normally don't do it for any site I'm not using in a work related way: usually university applications & such. If a site requires javascript for navigation I may not bother with it.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

I should clarify that: I mean "require" in the sense of usability. If you're using it as a border between this weeks and last weeks widgets, there isn't a problem for me.
And... I've been visiting every week. :)
er
--
email not valid

    I recognize that e-mail name and username.
    It created some confusion at one point in a book which I have read. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
hi R.H.
I think that you are doing such a great job of entertaining us each month that you can do whatever you want to do to keep this interesting to you!!!!!!
thanks for your time Dave

    [ ... ]

    It depends upon the site. If I am going to a well-known (to me) site, I may turn on JavaScript (or Java), but normally they are off, because I know the nasty things which can be done by abusing them.
    Granted, most of those nasty things are aimed at Windows systems, so my unix boxen are less vulnerable so far -- but who knows when someone will target an attack at the various unix systems.
    I happened to have it on when I visited your site last, but a warning that JavaScript is needed is a polite thing to do.
    I used to have it off more of the time, before moving to Opera as a browser, which does an excellent job of blocking pop-ups. (So does Mozilla with the right options set, but Opera is a faster browser at the moment -- and it has fewer things enabled which might be problems.)
    FWIW -- I *refuse* to install the plugin for ShockWave Flash. I have yet to see anything that it does which I *need* done, and once when I did have it installed, I found strange processes running after I exited the browser. It took me a while to yank out Flash by its roots. I have the same feelings about RealAudio.
    I *might* install them for special purposes -- *if* the browsers would offer the ability to simply turn them on and off from a menu as you can with Java and JavaScript.
    Most of the time, I have cookies turned off, too.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

Right, but the face and suit? I think I got it right.